Menu
Peter1892
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Green lights during setup

Hi

I am trying to set up my Hub 3 in my new student house. I have power, and I have connected the ‘Splitter or Broadband’ cable to an ntl wall socket.

I am getting a green Wi-Fi light and a green flashing base light.

From what I can tell I have followed the setup instructions fine, am I missing something?

Thanks,
Peter

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green lights during setup

have you activated the hub - number should be with the setup instructions - if you have always worth ringing again

check you have connected the splitter correctly - in out out should be marked - whilst the send a splitter if you only have BB then its not needed so remove it

Tony
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

1) Have you phoned the activation line?

2) If you have phoned for activation, then is the flashing light constant, or does it go steady for a minute or so, then back to flashing.

A constantly flashing base light signifies that there is no signal from the coax.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Peter1892
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses. I haven’t called an activation number, can’t actually see one within the stuff I was given.

However, I think I traced back from the ntl socket to the box on the wall outside and the cable is a dead end. (Appears soldered off but I don’t really know what I’m looking at).

Tracing the cable that is connected to inside just leads to the end of the cable which is similar to the cable I am trying to plug in. (ie they are both female so one will not plug into the other)

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it certainly wont work if its not activated but what you have found does not sound good - you can use a male/male connector internally - about a £1 at B & Q

as to the rest post some photos - i think VM will just book a tech when they get here 

Tony
Peter1892
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is it acceptable to plug that cable I have straight into my hub (ie not using the provided cable).

It just occurred to me that that would fit but will this mess anything up?

Cheers

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the supplied cable has a built in isolator - thats needed if there is no isolator in the internal box - maybe i am misunderstanding or maybe you are not being clear - what have you got internally - what is the 'other' cable - post some photos - they are better than lots of words that could be misunderstood

Tony
Peter1892
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so from the box on the outside wall, the cable with red arrows comes inside through the white box shown (through the TV connection though so I guess that’s not what I need?) And ends with the shown connection which would connect to the hub if that was appropriate?

I’ve also circled in yellow the end of the cable connected to the ntl box - I guess this is a defunct connection?

Thanks for your help!

8DC89771-8275-40D7-A6CD-788CC4EF884A.jpeg6E7BC68B-FA8E-4256-BC42-1923395B7B10.jpeg9CFB7CFB-4F43-4E1D-B2C3-9D11484BD82B.jpeg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ok - no idea whats happening outside so lets ignore that for now - 2 choices inside

1 - if the end of the cable you show goes back to the internal wall box and is screwed into the bottom connector then connect it to the hub - power it up and ring for the hub to be activated - try 0800 953 9500 afaik thats an automatic activation number

if that works the power light should eventually go white and you should have internet

if it does not work then try

2 - unscrew the cable from underneath the internal wall box and add the new cable and then connect the hub and try the activation again

if neither of those work then it would look as though there is a fault outside although it looks ok 

go from there - if you have not opened the external box and the cover is missing you still need a tech to sort that

Tony
Peter1892
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Success! Connected it as suggested in no 1. Then a friend actually went to the settings page described on the underside of the hub and was able to get it working from there.

Thanks so much for helping!

0 Kudos