Menu
ryancairns
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Upgrade - Line upgrade?

I signed up for the Gig1 upgrade last week and I received and installed the Hub4 in Modem mode at the weekend.
I think I recall the online rep saying it would take 4 days for the line to be activated - unfortunately I didn't copy the chat transcript and there was no email with any details saying as such.

When I run speedtest directly on my router I am not getting higher download speed than 200Mbps (upgrading from 350Mbps connection).

Connecting onto the Hub4 and looking at Network Status I can Primary Downstream Max Traffic Rate 1200000450.

Does this mean the line has been upgraded and I have issues elsewhere?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 Upgrade - Line upgrade?

that looks correct in the config

how are you testing - wired or wifi - always test wired

Tony
0 Kudos
ryancairns
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My Netgear R8000 has a built in speed test function so testing straight through the router interface.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

take your own router out of the equation and test direct to the hub4 - that way if its still low they cannot blame your router - also try a couple of different lan cables 

you need to use a wired pc with a gigabit card and a lan cable cat 5e or better

Tony
ryancairns
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good advice I'll try that later thanks. Have you a recommended speed test site? Noticed that I am getting wildly different speeds from the Ookla one vs the google one on a wired pc to the router.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ryancairns wrote:

Good advice I'll try that later thanks. Have you a recommended speed test site? Noticed that I am getting wildly different speeds from the Ookla one vs the google one on a wired pc to the router.

there are many sites - i take a cross section

http://proof.ovh.net

http://virginipv6.dualstack.speedtestcustom.com

some say the samknows site but that always gives low speeds for me - maybe it right and the others are wrong - who knows!

Tony
ryancairns
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I took the router of the equation and was getting max speed of around 600Mbps (should I be satisfied with this?)

I put it back into modem mode, connected to my router and still on around 300Mbps. I rebooted router (still around 300Mbps) and looked at settings - there is a dynamics QoS setting but that is turned off but there were settings about auto detecting max speeds . Not sure if this made a difference but I am now getting between 400-500Mbps.

Could these fluctuations be normal? Can I expect to ever get more than 600Mbps or is that what I am now paying for?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's typical to get > 900mbps daytime on a gig1 upgrade with the right equipment, heck I've managed to get > 500mbps over WiFi although how accurate that was I don't know (it was a speed test, not actually pulling data I needed). 

0 Kudos
ryancairns
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Resetting my router did the trick. Getting close to 600Mbps speed now when wired same as the homehub 4. Would be nice to see speeds closer to 900Mbps but I am not going to sweat it for now.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ryancairns wrote:

Resetting my router did the trick. Getting close to 600Mbps speed now when wired same as the homehub 4. Would be nice to see speeds closer to 900Mbps but I am not going to sweat it for now.

If you get chance put the HUB 4 into router mode and use the below site:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

It shows both the speed to the HUB over the VM network AND the speed from the HUB to the device.

0 Kudos