cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting virgin media

Gkenny73
Joining in

My son is coming home from university and I want to get a second line in for his gaming PC, would I be able to get Virgin into his room and not touch my current broadband connection?

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, your son would either need to get a totally separate broadband install from an Openreach-based supplier who use their own infrastructure - or just use your existing home broadband.

What would be the issue with him using your existing connection?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It’s not fast enough for his gaming and we have a separate virgin connection to our house  so was wondering if we could use that separately to our main phone line

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why don't you increase the speed of your existing connection - what's your current speed? That's probably the simpler solution - you can only have one VM account per billing address, except in some very specific circumstances.

Yours are not those circumstances, so if you want multiple connections they will need to be with another broadband provider entirely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

My current provider is not Virgin media and they don’t do the speeds he needs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, I interpreted your first post as "I have VM broadband but want a separate line" whereas you were asking "I'm with someone else but want to take a VM line - does this affect my existing connection"?

The answer therefore is no - Virgin Media operate their own network, and are totally separate to any BT Openreach-based provider.

Hi there @Gkenny73 ,

welcome to the community and thank you for considering joining us.

Absolutely you can have a separate connection with us alongside your current provider. We use a totally different connection to your house so your current service will run alongside just fine. 

Hope this helps

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi @Gkenny73 

I cannot add anything to what my colleague VM-Jon has already advised. Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.  
Regards
Lee_R

I suspect that a good option would be for you to get VM's broadband and landline (and optionally keep your landline number), that way you don't pay multiple ISPs. If WiFi does not work well for both of you then come back here for help.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Gkenny73
Joining in

Thanks for all the reply’s we have sorted a solution with VM where they are installing a new line for my son which is quick enough for his gaming needs and keeping my original connection with a different provider which I’m in contract with and happy with that current deal