Menu
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Getting services from a nearby DP for a non-service property

I've been with Virgin since before broadband was a thing and I'd like to continue to be a Virgin customer but I'm moving house to a property that isn't serviced by Virgin. I really don't want to downgrade from 350mbit cable to 23mbit from BT. I mean, just look at it. It would be cruel and inhumane to subject me to this, I'm sure you'll agree!

wonkotsane_1-1601294728670.png

The new house is in a short cul-de-sac that isn't cabled, surrounded by properties that are. I've put the postcode in on the website and there are no plans to "expand" into the cul-de-sac. I know that in the past (and presumably it's still the case) if there is a nearby DP that's underutilised properties have been cabled up that haven't previously been serviced. Right next to our new street is a road full of bungalows mostly inhabited by older people and I suspect penetration there will be very low. The closest DP is literally opposite the cul-de-sac with what looks to be a CATV duct manhole on the pavement at the top of our new street.

wonkotsane_0-1601294557063.png

Who would I talk to to try and convince them to do a site survey? I would be amazed if half the street didn't take up services if they were offered, it's mostly young families.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting services from a nearby DP for a non-service property

there a couple of VM techs/managers posting at the moment that should be able to look at things as and if they pick up the thread - the VM forum staff may also be able to look at things but as a comment - i dont think you stand a chance - happy to be wrong on that

Tony
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi as has been stated, virgin will have know its financially viable the words short cul de sac indicates that there aren't many other potential customers. Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

i dont think you stand a chance

agreed

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The street sign makes it pretty obvious why there are no Virgin services available. PRIVATE ROAD.

Virgin will only install in roads adopted by the local authority, where they have automatic wayleave via the area franchise agreement.

To get installation in a private road would require wayleave agreements from every property in the road whether they took the service or not. It is also not economically viable for infill build in a small road like this unless virtually every house signs up for the service.

Don't think you will have much luck with this.

PS. The ducting covers look like Openreach. Virgin Media's are usually square, not oblong.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not got the searches back yet so I don't know if the street has been adopted yet. It does look suspiciously well maintained so possibly not. There is a footpath down the side and along the rear which could be an option.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

PS. The ducting covers look like Openreach. Virgin Media's are usually square, not oblong.

Do I need to take a photo of the 3 VM ducts on our street which are all oblong ? 😉 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

your enthusiam is admirable, but i feel you are wasting your time.
even if the road is council adopted, infill simply won't happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

Do I need to take a photo of the 3 VM ducts on our street which are all oblong ? 😉 

I don't think I've ever seen a square CATV duct and I used to knock doors for Telewest. Maybe it varies from region to region depending on who the network was built by?

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
your enthusiam is admirable, but i feel you are wasting your time.
even if the road is council adopted, infill simply won't happen.

In-laws live in the next street which is cabled up, I might have to sound them out about putting a mast with a directional antenna in their front garden. We've just about got line of sight. 😂

0 Kudos