cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a newer socket plug while renting

NaEl
Joining in

Hi,

I ordered a broadband and was authorized for a self install kit, but I don't have a Virgin Media Wall socket that fits the plug that I've been given. I believe I do have a wall socket which would fit an older model plug, so it's possible all I would need is some sort of adapter.

The problem is that I am renting my property, so I can't make any changes to the wall. I don't feel comfortable getting a manual installation without knowing whether the engineer will be able to put in a new wall socket without damaging the wall.

Is there any way I can get information before I get an engineer here, or is there a way I can solve this myself? If I can't figure this out I will have to cancel my plan and find another provider.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

Post a picture of what you have.

The connections have never changed so you are correct, it's probably an adapter that's required.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What confuses some people is the push-on connector provided. This is designed to push over the existing screw connector the outlet has. If however the socket itself has been removed you will need assistance

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NaEl
Joining in

The socketThe socket

No idea if that socket is acutally for VM, however this should work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coaxial-F-Connectors-Satellite-Connector-Converter/dp/B071NSHL1V

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like a rooftop TV aerial outlet to me.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @NaEl thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

As mentioned by @nodrogd this would appear to be a TV outlet, so it does appear that you'll need a wall socket installed in order to utilise our services.

If you do need support with this and decide to go ahead with it, please reply here and we'll do our best to help further!
Many thanks

Tom_W