cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting VM in Flat?

Nezza42
Joining in

I've recently moved into a block of 4 flats. The same postcode covers all 4 flats and according VM availability checker, VM is available here.

There does not appear to be a VM box installed, only one connected to a SKY dish.

The standard BB is not very good, so I would rather have full fibre. 

None of the other flats seem to have VM.

So when the VM checker says that VM s available here and that I can get upto 1Gig BB, does that mean there should already be a box installed?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FlashPan
Fibre optic

You could be in the catchement area but no services have ever been installed there in the past.  Have a look on the streetside perimiter of the property to see if you can find a very small circle-ish or square man hole cover near the wall/fence etc it will probably say CATV.  That can provide the connection terminal to run a cable from there to the brown box that needs to be installed on the property wall (cable from there will them run into the property).

Depending on how many floors you want you want the cable to run up the wall into your place can be trickey as VM "may" need to send out a special "working at heights" team over a certain distance.  You may also need to get permission to run the cable from the street across the property and up walls of other peoples flats.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

FlashPan
Fibre optic

You could be in the catchement area but no services have ever been installed there in the past.  Have a look on the streetside perimiter of the property to see if you can find a very small circle-ish or square man hole cover near the wall/fence etc it will probably say CATV.  That can provide the connection terminal to run a cable from there to the brown box that needs to be installed on the property wall (cable from there will them run into the property).

Depending on how many floors you want you want the cable to run up the wall into your place can be trickey as VM "may" need to send out a special "working at heights" team over a certain distance.  You may also need to get permission to run the cable from the street across the property and up walls of other peoples flats.

VM-Jon
Problem sorter

Hi @Nezza42 ,

thank you for reaching out to us here, welcome to the community.
It is fantastic that you are considering joining us. As mentioned above your flat could be perfectly serviceable but never actually had service in the past. I am more than happy to take a closer look at this for you if you would like? I will drop you a private message for some more details and take a look for you.

thank you again

Jon

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

In the meantime you could be checking with your landlord or managing agent that they are happy with the proposed installation.

Virginmedia will require written permission from the building owner to run their cable from the road to the building, drill holes in the wall, etc. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.