cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview

Jen15
Joining in

When my mother turns on her TV freeview comes on and she has to change it to virgin. As she is elderly she forgets how to do this. Is there a way of virgin coming straight on please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jen15 wrote:

When my mother turns on her TV freeview comes on and she has to change it to virgin. As she is elderly she forgets how to do this. Is there a way of virgin coming straight on please

Sounds like you need to change a setting on the TV so that the TV always starts up on whatever AV/HDMI channel the VM TV box is plugged into (rather than starting on TV/Freeview). On my Panasonic TV the option is called 'Power on preference'. May need the VM TV box to be on though when switching on the TV to pick up the connection immediately.

Alternative setting might be to let the TV start up with Freeview and have the TV auto-detect when the VM TV box is switched on.

Availability of these features (or not) might depend on the make/model of TV.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jen15 wrote:

Sounds like you need to change a setting on the TV so that the TV always starts up on whatever AV/HDMI channel the VM TV box is plugged into (rather than starting on TV/Freeview). On my Panasonic TV the option is called 'Power on preference'. May need the VM TV box to be on though when switching on the TV to pick up the connection immediately.

Alternative setting might be to let the TV start up with Freeview and have the TV auto-detect when the VM TV box is switched on.

Availability of these features (or not) might depend on the make/model of TV.

ALF28
Super solver

SWITCHING OFF FREEVIEW

The problem is caused by using two remotes, the TV  remote and the virgin tv box remote.

One way  to use the sources list button (AV BUTTON) on the tv remote which gives a choice of tv, ext, side av, hdm1, hdm2 etc., to select virgin it would usually be hdm1

My tv is panasonic but this also works with my hitachi tv, most TV.s use the same remote these days but the buttons may vary slightly so you need to find the source/av button, usually at the top right on the tv remote.

Alternatively to disable Freeview, Press menu on tv remote

select setup

select sources

tv-change enabled to disabled using right arrow on remote (this would prevent freeview from working unless you enable it again and may be a disadvantage)

press menu again to exit

The tv should now start up with the virgin tv box.

My wife has the same issue, as pressing the buttons on the tv remote switch it to freeview and she can not switch source easily so I disable freeview and it always goes to virgin tv.

Note-I could not find the Power on preference option-where is this?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Alternatively get a good all in one remote and program the TV button to set it up with one press.

For example TV button will 

1 - Power on VM box

2 - Power on TV

3 - Select the correct HMDI input.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks