Menu
Lynni0201
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Frayed coaxial cable

No broadband/WiFi. Tried hard reset a couple of times and noticed frayed coaxial cable going into router. Already had engineer booked for 5th January and there are no appointments available before then. Can I buy a coax cable myself or does it have to be supplied and fitted by Virgin?

0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frayed coaxial cable

would be breaching the terms and conditions buying own cable, and most 3rd party cables not up to same standard as virginmedia's 75omhs triple shielded
0 Kudos
Lynni0201
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I’m clutching at straws - desperate for this to be solved before Xmas but it’s not to be

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The VM coax cables a very sturdy, what caused it to become frayed?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Lynni0201
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No idea. It’s a very short cable and we had a new box a few weeks ago so engineer was moving the router around. Maybe it got pulled then. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You couldn't post a picture could you? Frayed doesn't normally impact services, as the frayed part is just the shielding. 

0 Kudos
Lynni0201
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

07227D1A-2CF0-448F-B8E6-5B314EC30C24.jpeg

look like it’s working. 

0 Kudos
Gaz82
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This will work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Isolator-connecting-Splitters-Broadband-White/dp/B07NQ9ZFH9/ref=sr_1_...

As others have said, strictly speaking you shouldn't use your own cable but this one is RG6 (which Virgin advise third party installers to use) and the ends are properly terminated with compression F connectors.

Arguably, this would cause less issues to the network than the frayed cable you currently have! Even if you just use it on a temporary basis until Virgin can get out to fix the original cable.

0 Kudos
Lynni0201
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’ve actually ordered this one in haste as I could get it by tomorrow. It’s probably the wrong one. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virgin-Sky-Broadband-Extension-Superhub-White/dp/B071SDYKLZ

I got to speak to a Virginmedia customer service advisor today and he was fined with me using a quick fix. A friend came over and tried a quick fix which didn’t work so I asked him to put it back as it was. And .....after snipping frayed ends, reconnected and WiFi came back on!  I’m not even breathing around the router at the moment and praying it lasts till engineer comes on 4th (managed to get it bought forward a day). Thank you so much for your input. I was distraught - all my lamps and Xmas lights  are on smart plugs; we have several Echos and Hive Heating, not to mention. Netflix and APV. Couldn’t get heating and water heating to work without WiFi - still waiting for Hive to call me back after 10 hours (they promised me 30 minute call back as I have a clinically vulnerable adult daughter living with me who needs to be kept warm.).  Merry Christmas and all good wishes for 2021. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's a bit of a risk to have everything in the house entirely reliant on working WiFi.

It might be very convenient when it's working but you really need to have manual facilities as well for backup. Broadband and WiFi just aren't totally reliable and if they go down Virgin can take days to fix it - as you have discovered.

0 Kudos