Menu
stanfiee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Flickering white spots

Hi, I had my V6 boxes installed yesterday.  One is connected directly to my TV, the other via room extender so goes into an HDMI splitter, then into an extender via CAT7.  This process works fine for all my other outputs (Apple TV box, BT Vision box, DVD player) but with the V6 it has flickering white spots and keeps cutting in and out.

It is not the box as we tried both boxes directly into a TV and they are fine. 

It is strange as when you reboot the box, during the initial startup with the welcome in various languages it is all crystal clear, so only once the standard virgin screen comes up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Flickering white spots

Try a different HDMI cable

Going through a splitter is not a good idea

Gary

Virgin BB 200, Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos
stanfiee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, tried that still no better. The strange this is that all my other devices for output work fine
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

flickering white spots is a sign that the HDMI cable doesn't have enough bandwidth

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
stanfiee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

thanks does the virgin box take up more bandwidth than say an apple tv box? The virgin box is set up to output at 1080
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I read here that some people who swapped a tivo for a V6 had the issue so it uses more bandwidth than the tivo, don't know about the apple, just get a £5 amazon lead it should be fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Ultra-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stanfiee
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

As an update Virgin came round and said as it is nothing to do with their box they have fulfilled their obligation and could give no more help.  I would have thought they would have had some ideas given I cannot be the first. 

per the V6 specs it says 1 x HDMI v2.0a output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection and per the PU-1103TX/RX it says compliant with HDMI 1.3, HDCP 1.1 and DVI1.1 standards. (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/815454.pdf) - is this the reason for the issue?

Thanks to all for help

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have you thought that the HDMI splitter may not be up to the job ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
stanfiee
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

do you mean the extenders the PU 1103TX/RX? as that is all that is left, as it goes V6 => HMDI 2.0 cable => PU 1103TX => cat7 cable => PU 1103RX => HDMI2.0 cable to LG 4k TV which handles both 4K and 1080

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why not run a long HDMI cable instead of all the converting ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos