Menu
Nanomachines
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Five months of delays yet I live right next to the cabinet

I originally took out a contract with Virgin Media in the second week of September 2020, as of the day of writing this (the 20th January 2021) I have had my installation delayed for the, now, fifth time. I’ve contacted several of Virgin Media’s contact centres to absolutely no success. I end up being sat on hold for almost an hour to get through regardless of what time of day I ring at, and when I do get through to someone they’re completely unable to help!

I get the same spiel every time, about a ‘construction’ issue or something else, but no actual information as to what has happened, what is going on, and what’s going to happen to resolve it. Unfortunately Openreach don’t deem my area to be worthy of upgrading to fibre, so my only option is to go with Virgin, as my copper internet speeds are 2mbps at best, and I need a fast connection to actually work from home during the pandemic. Fortunately my managers at work have been very understanding, but I can tell their patience is starting to wear thin.

I’ve already been given upwards of £150 in compensation, but this useless to me right now. I’ve got compensation for a bill I can’t pay for a service I can’t use.

I’ve been promised phone calls and emails to absolutely no end, to the point I gave up. There’s already been so much work that has occurred on my street from Virgin, but I’ve received no information as to why this is taking so long and what’s being done to resolve it. No one has taken any ownership.

As I said in the title, I literally live right next to the Virgin cabinet. I can almost touch it from my office window, it's no more than 5-10 metres away from my front door. They've already done plenty of construction work outside, and pre-pull teams have showed up two or three times to do work and then left because apparently more construction work needs to be done, but I've not been told anything by anyone as to what this work is, who we're waiting for, and what the issues are.

I'd really appreciate someone actually helping me out on this, because pretty soon we're going to hit six months of delays and I'm losing my mind. I'm having to live on a 4G connection at the moment which is spotty as best.

Please, please, help me.

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Five months of delays yet I live right next to the cabinet

someone needs to look at the notes and make sense of things - it might not help you but might give you an explanation

@Christy_D @VM-Jon 

Tony
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Taken at face value (what else can I do but to do that?) this story is astonishing. 

Let me be frank with you. At the best of times VM's communications on issues like this with potential customers are not of the best, judging form the repetitive stories like this that I've seen since of offering advice on this Forum. At times like now they seem to be getting even worse. Some of it you can understand because of the additional pressures on all businesses. But there must be limits?

To be fair to VM they could be right when they say they need to do more work on the public highway for which they will need permission from the local authority. And councils can be notoriously bad about clearing these requests promptly.

I'm going to escalate this post to the Forum Team here so they get to it more quickly than the standard response time. They may be able to see what is going and why. Wait here for their reply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nanomachines
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this, I appreciate the escalation. I'll await a response from the forum team you mentioned.

I could understand a delay due to the pandemic, but at this point we're even beyond comical delays. It's unbelieveable.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you Nanomachines

I'm terribly sorry to see that we've been seemingly having multiple issues with the installation and that this has been impacting your working life.

I've been able to locate the area field managers for your local area and have dropped them an E-Mail to look into this and see if they can give me an explanation, and to possibly escalate this if possible.

I'll seek to update you via the thread when I have more news

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Nanomachines 

See progress already!  Well done @David_Bn for such quick reaction and chasing.

Keep watching this space. I'll try and keep VM on their toes for you too. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nanomachines
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi David, thanks for that! I've been told twice by contact centre staff that they were going to email the area field manager and then get back to me, but I never heard back, so I look forward to hearing back from you. Thoroughly appreciate it!

@howardML Thank you for the escalation and assistance, hopefully we can all get this recitified ASAP 🙂

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Happy to help Nanomachines.

An area field manager has E-Mailed me back and stated they don't have access to construction issues anymore (this is something that has seemingly changed quite recently) so I suspect this is why you've not been issued with a response thus far when working with our call centre staff.

I have been given an E-Mail address for someone in construction to look this up for me and I've gone to the liberty of E-Mailing them too. 

As per my previous post, I'll update as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Nanomachines
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That would certainly explain why they've not been able to give me any information over the phone. Already you've given me more information from that forum post than I've achieved from hours spent on the phone. Looking forward to the next update!

Nanomachines
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm still waitnig to hear back, I'm hoping there's an update soon, I haven't even been called back by the call centre agent that contacted me on Tuesday and promised me a call back, but just to add to this ridiculous story:

My downstairs neighbours now have Virgin. That's right, a couple of weeks ago all the neccessary teams showed up to connect them with absolutely no problems what so ever. I thought it was initially some extra work for my crazy case but nope, their Virgin Media wifi now shows up on all of my devices and it looks like my case is just sat around doing literally nothing. I only noticed this coming back from a walk as I saw the box on their wall.

This is absolutely the biggest kick in the teeth yet. Almost five full months of waiting and being messed around and yet my neighbours directly underneath where I am sat right now, have it.

I'm simply lost for words. I genuinely don't even know who to complain to at this point.