Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

First impressions of Virgin Media

Well, I must admit, my first impressions of VM are completely and utterly incompetent.

Street was cabled, but we have a shared driveway for 3 houses. Consent was obtained to dig up the last bit, but, nearly two months later, we are still waiting. Installation was cancelled twice, and my contract was cancelled once for "no permissions received to dig up the driveway".

Worse experience, though, is the complete lack of information provided to me. For a communications company, the lack of communication towards customers is nothing short of pathetic....

No sense in ringing support, waiting an hour or so, to speak to someone who doesn't work for VM to tell me they know nothing....

Not really sure I want to put my broadband services in the hands of this company.

<Rant over> - Sigh.... 😞

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: First impressions of Virgin Media

When it works and you don't need to speak to anyone, VM is an excellent ISP.  Pricey when your introductory discount ends, but offering great speeds (far faster than most people ever fully utilise).

However, the poor communication and broken processes are endemic.  From time to time problems occur, and sometimes they're fixed quickly and easily.  Sometimes, however, the experience of getting a fault fixed is an unmitigated nightmare that drags on and on, with angry customers unable to speak to intelligent human staff, and the company appearing organisationally incapable of supporting its own technology and infrastructure.  This forum is a small enclave of reason and help, but it can't resolve the failings across the organisation.  The offshore and outsourced first line service is as grim as any I've ever encountered.  The sad thing is that the UK VM employees are usually polite, friendly and helpful, and the company is letting them down as much as customers - imagine how frustrating it must be to be unable to help customers because the systems and processes simply aren't setup to work properly, and a focus on cost-saving prevents any individual being able to take ownership and see a problem through to a good outcome.

So I think your first impressions are representative.  If and when VM eventually get you connected, it may all be sweetness and light, but you'll have to really hope so.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Relax, it's completely normal for VM to completely ignore you for 2 months and then say something completely random. It's because non of the departments actually talk to each other! 

You do get slightly more sense if you ring VM construction/pre installs rather than VW customer support however. 

That said, VM absolutely hate shared driveways, and sometimes, depending on the length of the driveway, they can put it down as "over budget", but they'll normally say something completely different (see above). 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well, it's certainly a good thing I did not cancel my current provider when they said I should (around Sept 7th...). 3 people working from home down a spotty 4G connection would be painful....

Thanks for the answers. Not that it made me feel any better 😀

It would be nice to get a response from a VM staff member to explain what is going on, but I won't hold my breath...

I was warned how bad the customer service was, but I did think I would get to use the service before I found that out...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, at least the staff here can send an email to your area manager asking what's going on, which is far better than you get from one of the call center staff. It will normally take a day or two before they'll notice this post however, so keep checking back. They may want some person details from you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Did the other two homeowners submit their wayleaves to VM?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

They said they have. Virgin say they did not receive them (the 2nd sales person told me this when I asked why my order had been cancelled). This includes a physical copies of a signed form collected by a VM staff member right after the roadway was dug up. We have a VM staff member living in the street and we knew there was going to be issues with the wayleave, so pre-empted it.

One of the other houses has ordered the VM service as well, so why would they lie to me about the sending back the forms? The other has given me the copy of the above form they signed, so why would they lie to me as well?

So, either VM are lying (why would they?). The forms are all lost (all of them? - unlikely), or there is incompetence somewhere in the line.. 2 out of the 3 houses want the service.

It's not hard to talk to me either. The sales guy who knocked on my door managed it...

It's the complete and utter lack of communication that annoys me most.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

....The forms are all lost (all of them? - unlikely)

Some of us regulars wouldn't see that as unlikely with VM.  The company are (generally) competent at very standardised, repetitive jobs, like a simple domestic installation that doesn't involve any survey needs, has no digging through tarmac or concrete, doesn't cross shared or third party land, and starts from an existing cable access point at the boundary.  Move away from that simple case, and the uniqueness of each individual case requires a degree of commitment and creativity that monolithic systems and processes struggle to allow. 

And sometimes, as @Z92 observes above, given the relatively long run to the property, there's a chance that VM will deem the installation uneconomic and cancel it without even telling you the reason.  Unless you've agreed to pay all costs over about £350 per property connected, that is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Forms all lost by VM falls under incompetence in my book. I was referring to lost by the postal service, which I find unlikely.

What defines a long run? To be honest, the run from the last house round the corner, to the top of our drive is longer and that was ran in with no issues. I would guess it being somewhere in the region of 20m

I guess I have to just wait and see what happens...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sorry my mistake, confusing your post with a vaguely similar post elsewhere!  20m wouldn't be a problem of itself, so long as it's mostly in soil.

0 Kudos