cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre internet connection in wrong room

finniant88
Joining in

HI,

I bought a house 18 months ago and brought my Virgin Hub from previous address with me to the new address. The new house has 2 ports to plug in the router to, one in living room (other side of the wall from the omni box) and the other in the bedroom at completely the opposite end of the house. 

The router never worked in the living room plug so I put it into the bedroom, where it does work, and it has been there ever since. The problem is that the connection in the living room (where PS4, smart TV etc is located) is poor and can be intermittent. 

I'd like the router to be plugged into the living room port but can't figure out how to do this without an engineer coming to take a look at the wiring. Can anyone advise how I can get someone to come and do this? Online chat is hopeless.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

lotharmat
Community elder
Hang tight for forum staff! - They'll be able to arrange this!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like they disconnected the living room and connected the bedroom at the omnibox.  It would have been better to use a splitter to have both feeds live, with the unused one terminated with the usual 75ohm cap.

Hopefully it will be a quick fix for the engineer to sort out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

finniant88
Joining in

Thanks both. I’ll just hold tight and wait for a member of staff then!

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi finniant88,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome to the Community Forum. I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

I'll just need to confirm a few details with your via Private Message, please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

@finniant88 the way it works is that a single cable comes into the (usually) brown omnibus on the outside from wall. From there cables run to the various points inside the house so there is often a splitter there connecting say two cables to two points in the house to the one cable linking back to VM’s street cabinet.

So what I would do is to have a look in the box (there’s next to no voltage on the cable, so no danger) and see if there is a cable coming up out of the ground and two others, one of which may be connected to it and goes to the working wall point and another which is disconnected. If this is the case then it’ll just be a case of disconnecting the one which is joined and connecting the free one which presumably goes to the not working point (not working because it’s not joined it anything).

In some cases the ‘splitter’ might be somewhere inside your house, so it’ll be a case of tracing the cable from where it enters the house and seeing where it splits and connect up the point which you want to be ‘live’.