cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre cable to property

Twitchymitch
Tuning in

Good evening 

I have recently had my fibre installed and wondered if anyone had any idea of what the depth should be for the cable? I noticed where the soft dig was but thought as it had only just been done that it would settle down but I've gone to cut my grass today and noticed that I could see the cable! I didnt end up cutting the grass as I didnt want to damage the cable and wondered if this is something anyone else has had concerns about? It must be 3" deep at best and from what I can tell by a quick google search that this isnt sufficient for things like "cable freeze" and such other related issues.

Regards 

Chris.

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

there is no standard for the cable across your property - anything from on the surface to whatever the tech felt like on the day - staff will get to the thread and may have a word with the area field manager - that can get things improved or it may be ignored - is the cable in a green tube - it should be but again they dont always bother

if there is slack in the cable the best way is bury it yourself - you are likely to get a better job

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you Tony for your input,  I may do what you advised. It just seems a bit shoddy and to be honest I would have probably preferred it above ground as the divit they have left down the centre of my lawn is going to make it nearly impossible to cut! I read that fibre lines should be no less than 18 inches depth but that didnt specify about on private property which you mentioned. Theyve literally come down the centre of the lawn then as it approaches my property they turn off to the fence line which just seems bizarre! They did atleast use the green conduit so I suppose that's a plus. 

as said there are no standards - if one exists with the tech code of practice then its as little as they can get away with and done as quickly as possible

as a side note it may be fibre if you are FTTP but the majority is fibre to the main cabinet then coax from that to the dumb cabs and coax to you - not that that means it should not have been done right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Agreed mate, as dumb as it sounds I never even thought of correcting it myself as its run by virgin ( or whoever's contracted to lay the lines). As far as I can see you are indeed correct in what you are saying. I will look further into this as it seems that there should be standards in place, I worked with ground works for several years and this sort of thing would not fly with any other amenities! I, like many use a petrol lawnmower and theres a high chance that if it gets close enough to the cable that it will obliterate it !

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it.