cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre cable outside home is broken

Newhomeowner
Joining in

Had an engineer out to look at our internet connection and he's said the cable between the street and our house is broken. 

He hasn't given us a date for when this will be fixed and just said someone will be out to fix it. 
has anyone had any experience with this and what is involved? 

6 REPLIES 6

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

how good or bad do you want it - just search the forum there are plenty of stories - register for compensation - its £8 a day for each full day you are offline less 2 as they have a 48 hour time slot to fix it and however long you are offline they expect you to pay the DD

if it goes well you should be back on line quickly - if not it could be weeks or months

the one thing that is certain is you will get zero meaningful info from VM other that it will be fixed tomorrow [guaranteed] or the next day or the next

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I had a cable damaged by a badly aimed garden spade causing a penetration and earthing of the wires within ... well I reported it and it was fixed in  a jiffy by a young VM operative ..took no time at all  ..I would say less than 20 mins ... must have done it loads . good job .

The issue here though isn't the actual fix time, yes if there is enough slack than splicing the two cables and sealing in a gel pack, doesn't take too long at all - the problem is actually getting  someone out to do it!

I see .. I did not have that unfortunate difficulty as I remember ,, VM luckily came out fairly quickly ... we had no phone at that time due to the break and we had a family medical emergency ...sorry for your troubles mate ,,, good luck

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

its good when it goes right - there was damage to my cable when the duct was damaged by the leccy people - full credit to the tech who came out to mend it - he tried all the ways he could but could not sort it - he suspected a second break that he could not find so it needed a repull - i was off line 65 days - the story is long and boring

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Newhomeowner, thank you for the post and welcome to the Virgin Media forums!

So sorry to hear about the damaged cable affecting the services going to the house.

It will require additional works to be done so that we can get this repaired. Let me look at this for you, I will send a private message, watch out for the purple envelope 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs