cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre In Entire Estate Except Us

Lyall12
Joining in

Virgin have recently released fibre in my estate (hundreds of houses) with the junction boxes and cables installed above ground, using the existing telegraph pole network. There is already a full system of these in place with what I assume is old phone lines running to each property.

I can see the VM boxes on all telegraph poles except the one that supplies our house and according to the postcode checker, everyone has access to fibre in line with this (there's another 3 houses on the same pole as me with no fibre offered). There is a neighbouring pole with a VM box that has a cable running to our pole, that seems to be how the old phone line network has worked in the past as a sort of daisy chain. Something even more frustrating is that there is another telegraph pole on the opposite side of the house with a VM box that is closer than any others. It would be easy enough to reach our property and is within line of sight of our house.

I would like to have the option to take a fibre package as the internet in the area otherwise is abysmal. How do I go about querying this? It's frustrating when hundreds of houses have been accounted for but a small handful look to have been forgotten.

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first thing to point out is that VM has no Universal Service Obligation, unlike BT. They do not have to serve every house in a location. It could be an issue with the shared Openreach duct to the pole, which is not Virgin's responsibility. While it may be frustrating that there is another pole on the other side of the house that gets a service, this will no doubt serve a different postcode area. Taking ports from this will reduce the capacity in that road & also lead to issues when faults are reported.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the response.

The neighbouring pole on the other side of the house (other side being the right side at the front in relation to left side at the front) is on the same street / postcode as me and supplies a house directly opposite me. It only has 7 houses to supply which, compared to the others supplying up to 12 each, makes me wonder if it's assigned to us but been missed or something given that we're a row of 5 without.

In fact, the pole serving us is on a different street / postcode from us. I can add some pics to illustrate better. Pics are taken from the same location, looking left out the front of my house and then right.

LeftLeftRightRight

Hi @Lyall12 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Thank you for your support @nodrogd 👍

Regards,
Daniel