Menu
mighthaveknown
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Failed pre install visit

I decided to try Virgin but our drive would be a challenge to get the cabling from the road in a tidy fashion and, if they go the wrong way across, they will need yards more cable to get to where they need to be on the house wall. Also I've seen some very poor routing locally (yards of green trunking across front gardens) so I decided to ask for a pre-installation visit prior to the booked installation on 12th October. This booking was confirmed and visible on the website. They were supposed to come between 8.00am and 6.00pm today. Spent the day waiting - no show. Rang the installation team - don't know why they didn't come. They will arrange for someone to come tomorrow (3rd October) -sometime between 8.00am and 6.00pm - can't be more accurate - they 'might' ring first.

Looking at this forum this is a regular problem it seems. Question is do I spend another day waiting in, and possibly hours on the phone if they don't turn up again, or cancel now. I've actually only asked for this visit as routing the cable the right way will save them a lot of work. Fortunately I've left a long overlap period so I'll still have BT cover for a few weeks after the proposed installation date and I've got time to get another provider in.

0 Kudos
mighthaveknown
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failed pre install visit

Update - now 2.00PM - no show.

On line chat is impossible to navigate as you keep getting a bot trying to direct you to on line advice. Called customer service - automated call handling tries to direct you to website whichever button you choose. I've found an answer to this - don't press any of them and eventually the call handling system says it will put you through to an operator. Of course you are then in a queue!

Interestingly the call handling system told me my installation visit was due on the 12th even though on the website the visit that is supposed to be occuring today is still listed. From yesterdays experience I know that means nothing of course.

0 Kudos
mighthaveknown
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Further update - now 6.00 PM - still no show.

That's 2 days I've been waiting in for an engineer. I gave up on this afternoons telephone call after waiting in a queue for an eternity.

There are obvious conclusions to draw about levels of organisation and customer service. The staff in the call centre just tell you lies. 

I'm not going to try calling to cancel the contract as its impossible to get through to the call centre. They are due to turn up on the 12th for installation so, if they do turn up (unlikely), unless they can pull a rabbit from a hat, I'll tell them to go away then. Serves them right for wasting my time. Totally crap company.

0 Kudos
juecc1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ive had 5 appointments for a pre-install visit,  sat in waiting they never turn up, but they are quick enough to get you to sign up, take your bank details and inform your current supplier that your leaving but cant come to check if the installation is even possible. seem like a total waste of time

0 Kudos
mighthaveknown
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly I had two chaps turn up on Wednesday - no notification or alert. They seemed to think they had come to do the 'pull through' but when I explained about the two failed pre-installation visits they had a look and agreed that the installation was more complex and they would have to call another team to do it. They did not come in a Virgin logo van so I guess they are 3rd party contractors. They can't tell me when the other team will call - could be anytime in the next few days - and they will leave a note to call me first because they will need access to the locked garage. However they said they may not bother to ring and might just turn up.
What is clear is that Virgin have no control over the process at all and any information you get from the call centre will be unreliable at best and probably lies read from a Virgin media script.
For anyone facing the possibility of a new installation I think the only option realistically is to wait till they turn up, tell them what you want and, if they can't do it cancel the contract. I sent in a complaint via their web page and got a reply saying they hoped to deal with it within 28 days! If those two blokes hadn't turned up this morning I'd have cancelled but I'll wait and see what happens over the next 2 days now. I have no confidence that I will be a Virgin customer this time next week though.

0 Kudos