cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed house move / cable pull not done

welchrna
On our wavelength

I notified VM that I was moving house on 9th Nov and told them that we also needed a cable pull as it's a new build (there's even a conduit with a draw string from the grass verge inspection hatch to the house.

When VM turned up on 28th Nov - the day of the move - they said they could not do it as they don't do cable pulls. The guy rebooked it for a months time and left. I was left battling to try to get this done. Been on the phone over 6 hours to VM - got nowhere. Nobody can, or will, help.

I'm left paying for a service I'm not receiving and also £25/month for an emergency 4G SIM.

VM just saying that cable pull is by contractors and they have no control.

Can I contact the contractors directly? Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The automatic compensation for delays is specified by the regulator OFCOM

Compensation https://ofcom.cmail19.com/t/i-l-ckhdkud-wklhinik-m/

Here is Virgin's notice

Compensation https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

If you have problems claiming what is due, there are experienced posters here who can help you.

You must keep records of all promises made about installation dates.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

33 REPLIES 33

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi welchrna,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your house move has not gone ahead due to the cable not being pulled, I was able to, locate you and can see there is an appointment booked for the re-pull, you can check this Via your Online Account.

Regards

Paul.

welchrna
On our wavelength

Thank you Paul for getting back to me. I logged into My Account and looked all over but could not find any date for a cable pull. To be honest I find the site a bit flaky. The Service Status area tells me that there's two households in my postcode with my surname (there isn't) and when I add the house number it just hangs and does not give me a status indication at all. The main page (https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/home) gives me a warning about an overdue payment, which is wholly incorrect. When I go to check My Cases (https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint) I'm told there's nothing to see here, even though I've made a complaint. No mention anywhere of the issues I'm having or when a cable pull will take place.

Since there's nothing there which will tell me when the cable pull appointment is, I'm afraid I'm simply of the opinion that this whole process is going to fail. The install was rebooked for 21st December 2022, but without the cable pull that will be a waste of time. I've also been given false information on three occasions about when the cable pull will happen. Can I please talk directly to the cable pull team to establish accurately when this can happen?

I have to say that at this moment I consider VM to be in breach of contract and am very seriously considering cancelling and going to the ombudsman, as I don't really have any faith that Virgin Media have the competence to get this install done.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The cable is run by an outside contractor and there is no way to contact them. The best you can do is call the Pre Installations number 0800 052 1734. 

I'm sorry you are in this position but it's normal for Virgin installations. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

welchrna
On our wavelength

Thanks. I did call the number. I was told someone would come out today, though I've been told that 3 times before and they haven't. When I queried that, they put me through to what they said was pre-installations, but actually wasn't and I got cut off. ☹️

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes. That's normal too.  😞

- jpeg1

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the delays welchrna,

To clarify did our team advised that the contractors would be out today?

Regards,

Kain

welchrna
On our wavelength

They say that each time I call - i.e. that they will come out that day. The last time was last Sunday and they told me someone would be out that day but nobody turned up. Its happened four times. I think they just say it to make me go away.

I have the installation happening tomorrow having waited almost a month, but I'm guessing that VM will just turn up and leave again like the last one did, as the cable hasn't been pulled.

I don't know why this has to be so drawn out and painful. 

@Kain_W wrote:

Many apologies for the delays welchrna,

To clarify did our team advised that the contractors would be out today?

Regards,

Now Kain, you know and I know, that ‘your team’ has about as much knowledge of what your contractors are doing or planning to do than my cat has, yes? 

Or do I need to go into more detail?

You know the old saying, “if you have nothing useful to say*, then best say nothing at all”

* and by useful, I mean something that some of us on here can and will metaphorically cut you off at the knees for if you get it wrong.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

jem, I think you are being just a little hard on Kain. It's not his fault that Virgin doesn't give him any tools to do a useful job.

This forum must be unique. It's the only one I know where the supplier comes to ask the customer what is going on with their service. 

- jpeg1