Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Failed Install -Nynex Virgin box with no connection flat block

I had an engineer visit today for broadband install. Upon the visit he found there was a box by the door which was installed by the previous provider Nynex. He opened it up and could see that there was no wiring to trace back to install.

An area manager came about half an hour later and it sounds like the wiring was cut out when the apartment block i live in had new flooring. They said that they aren't able to re wire this in as they would have to take up all the flooring to trace the cables back. 

i have been told i can't now have virgin fibre.... it has happened to another neighbour on my floor but other users have it. sounds very odd to me 

Does anyone have a similar experience? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failed Install -Nynex Virgin box with no connection flat block

Hi there @saintjimmy123

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for  your first post; I am sorry to understand that your flat is now no longer serviceable due to the cut cabling. 

Without further information or seeing your address, if other flats or floors can get our services then this would usually mean that they are on a different connection into the property.

If the Area Manager has already advise this this not possible then I can only apologise that we're not able to install you at this moment in time. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How about consulting with the landlord about this. The incoming cable terminates at a lockbox or similar on the ground floor with drop cables going to each flat. It should be possible with VM's assistance to identify which drop cables are installed for each flat and do a new installlation.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a spotter coming out to visit to give the final say. I own the property but have spoken to the management company and I know where the virgin box is on the lower ground floor. In theory all 34 flats should of had the cabling but mine was missed and so was another one across the hall.

The engineer said it would be impossible to trace the cable back to the origin as they are all muddled up! and too expensive to recable it

I just don't understand how they would miss my flat and not be able to feed a new cable up! 

Guess i have to wait and see

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kate,

He only said they couldn't install it, as i believe the people who fit the little box and the router etc are a different team to the cabling team.

I have a spotter coming out in the next 7-10 days to see if they can shed any light? i just don't understand how my flat can be missed yet everyone else bar me and another owner can't? surely it can't be hard to re run new wiring if it was done before?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@saintjimmy123 wrote:The engineer said it would be impossible to trace the cable back to the origin as they are all muddled up! and too expensive to recable it

It's the responsibility of VM to label each cable, e.g. Flat 1, Flat 2, etc. If this hasn't been done then now is the time to do it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks. I am going to ask to look at the cupboard today! just seems very odd. If i didn't kick up a fuss they wouldn't of even arranged a spotter! ( no idea what they will even do or say, just know they will call me one hour before and could take 7-10 days ) 

Surely they want my business? £1200 every 18 months over the course of my internet life which is easily 10 + years in the flat they will easily make that money back.... ridiculous!

0 Kudos