Menu
Dazzlermlb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

External work no done yet

My installation date is tomorrow (10/12) and the cable from the street to my property hasn't been installed.

A virgin van turned up outside my house the other day sat there for 30 minutes but didn't do anything.

Do I have any hope of actually having my services installed tomorrow?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: External work no done yet

You'll have to hope so, because if the installation doesn't go ahead tomorrow there's a fair chance that it won't be done until after Christmas, and judging by other people's experience if it gets delayed you'll be unable to get any meaningful or accurate information about what's happening. 

So first of all, what's your Plan B for maintaining phone and internet connectivity if the installation doesn't happen?  

Second thing is that your 14 day cooling off period doesn't start until the service is installed, so you may wish to judge the service based on what happens now.  If a courteous technician comes tomorrow, does a neat install, and by the end of the day you've got a connection that's at your full contracted speed with good latency, and any TV or phone services work then you'll not need to worry about those cooling off rights.  On the other hand, if your installation evaporates into a miasma of uncertainty and your attempts to resolve that reveal a Kafkaesque bureaucracy that can't even answer its own phones, then maybe time to think about that.

Fingers crossed it all goes ahead tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dazzlermlb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My other internet service doesn't run out for another 6 days so I guess I can always cancel virgin, extend my current deal for a month and look for a better deal elsewhere.

I gave myself an overlap because I had seen the problems others have had.

I'm 99% sure whoever sat outside my house in the virgin connect van were there to dig my garden and lay the cable. They just got out had a look around, got back in the van and just sat there for at least half hour. 

I take it whoever is supposed to come out to do the installation tomorrow, won't be dig my garden up to lay the cable?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I couldn't say.  Back in the good old days of Telewest, the installing technician would (subject to a cable route suitable for hand tools) dig the trench or secure the cable to a wall themselves, as well as doing the joint at the boundary port, the brown wall box, all wall drilling and internal fitment.  I don't know if that's how it works these days, but to judge by the regular complaints here about new installs, the whole of the new customer installation process is something that combines the darkest humour of both Scott Adams and Gary Larson.

I presume you'll know by the end of today whether VM are going to deliver a winning performance, or whether they'll leave no stone unturned in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  If it's the latter, get on to your existing ISP quickly, because they probably can't retract an Openreach disconnection order at the very last moment.   

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Dazzlermlb
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Quick update.

The technician arrived and I explained there was no cable to the house.

He made a call and 10 minutes later 2 vans and 4 blokes turned up and did the external work.

So all in all everything turned out ok 👍

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's good to know!

0 Kudos