Menu
mrfarrant
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

External service work

Hi,

My wife and I are attempting to work from home with no internet. We moved into a new property at the end of October and are still awaiting our installation.

External service work is required before the engineer can install but they never turn up! I’ve spent over four hours on the phone to the support teams who keep promising it will happen but the date just keeps being moved. I’ve even raised a complaint with zero response!

We’ve had to keep buying additional data on our mobiles so we can attempt to work but we’re at our wits end.

Before I cancel altogether, can anybody offer me any sort of guidance?!?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: External service work

buy a unlimited data sim.
https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited
£20 /month.

If you require internet for work you should keep a backup service anyway
0 Kudos
mrfarrant
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. That’s what we’ve both done with our mobile providers, but unfortunately needed two months each now, so £80 already!

Just hoped that Virgin would be able to supply it a little quicker and the ‘promises’ get very frustrating! The support teams don’t seem to have any influence over it at all!

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it's a new installation (no Virgin box on outside of house) then you could be waiting months and VM staff will likely have no idea when it will be completed as it's done by outside contractors which may be waiting for permission from the council to dig up pavements/etc. 

Likewise, they could even complete installation tomorrow, so the date you get will always be todays date until it's completed. 

If you are attempting to work from home then you need a backup provider anyway, as if your Virgin service goes down your not going to get paid, so an extra plan is always worthwhile. 

0 Kudos
mrfarrant
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's a good point, thank you - I hadn't considered that they might require permission from the council.

It's really the radio silence and lack of any sort of information from the support team that frustrate me the most. If I'd had this sort of response from them, then perhaps I could have looked at alternative arrangements for the interim.

They seem to have no control or ways of communicating with the contractors that carry out the work, so we're just left in the dark completely.

I'm happy to use mobile data as a back-up if the service drops in the future, so I'm not concerned there. It also wouldn't have been an issue if we were moving from another provider - but starting off with no service at all makes it difficult.

Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you've got the spare time, you could always keep a check on the one network for any roadworks in your area: https://one.network/

For example, in my local area I can see this note from Virgin Media: "Advanced planning outside no. 43 to 57: To fit 12m of duct in the carriageway and 47m in footway with tees and track for new customer connections" 

0 Kudos
mrfarrant
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That’s useful, thank you - I’ll keep an eye on it.

Unsurprisingly there’s nothing showing. We’ve been in touch with the council now to see if Virgin have requested anything and they’re looking in to it.

What an awful experience dealing with Virgin!

0 Kudos