cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External cabling

LynneM1
Joining in

Trying to find out when they will come to do the external cabling from the road to my house. Each time I phone they say ‘today’. I have stayed in for three days but they’ve still not been. (I’m having work done on front garden so need the cables put along the front of the garden and then up the side rather than direct from road to building). Been on the phone ages to a lady who was quite rude but said she’s leave a note for the engineers (just as previous advisers had said but she said there was no existing note on my file) and was eventually transferred to the new installation team. I couldn’t understand what he said so asked him to repeat it and he cut me off. I’ve been with Sky for years  and never had such rude customer service advisers. Still have the question: how do I find out when they’re doing the outside cabling?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You won't get a reliable answer from VM as to when the external cabling work will be done.

The external work is often carried out by sub-contractors. There seems to be little/no communication between VM and the contractor. All VM staff see on their screens is the next planned date the sub-contractor has allocated.

We have seen countless topics on here where the VM 'guarantees' the work will be done on the next scheduled date but the guarantee has no meaning and the sub-contractor fails to appear. In some cases this has been repeated over and over again for an individual customer.

Under normal circumstances you would not be expected to be in for the external work. If, however, you want the cable to take a particular route from the street to your home, you should try to be at home to direct the work. The sub-contractors will typically take the quickest/easiest path for themselves. This has often lead to an installation that was not suitable for the homeowner and some comical photos of bodged installations appearing on here.

You should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary if your activation date is missed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Your cable installation may happen imminently or may be many weeks away. Unfortunately you will not get any reliable answers from VM as to when it will actually happen.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you have to realise is that apart from the person doing the internal part of the install, all the other people dealing with installs are third party contractors. Communication between them & Virgin customer services is virtually non existent. You might get more success calling the Pre install team number 0800 052 1734.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You won't get a reliable answer from VM as to when the external cabling work will be done.

The external work is often carried out by sub-contractors. There seems to be little/no communication between VM and the contractor. All VM staff see on their screens is the next planned date the sub-contractor has allocated.

We have seen countless topics on here where the VM 'guarantees' the work will be done on the next scheduled date but the guarantee has no meaning and the sub-contractor fails to appear. In some cases this has been repeated over and over again for an individual customer.

Under normal circumstances you would not be expected to be in for the external work. If, however, you want the cable to take a particular route from the street to your home, you should try to be at home to direct the work. The sub-contractors will typically take the quickest/easiest path for themselves. This has often lead to an installation that was not suitable for the homeowner and some comical photos of bodged installations appearing on here.

You should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary if your activation date is missed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Your cable installation may happen imminently or may be many weeks away. Unfortunately you will not get any reliable answers from VM as to when it will actually happen.

Thanks for the advice.