Menu
jcort
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

External cabling re-routing request - 3 months and counting for a cable re-pull

Where to begin ... well, I'll start by declaring I am a Telewest / VirginMedia customer of 20 years. I though that may have counted for something ... how terribly wrong I was.

So, in preparation for a new, extended driveway, I contacted VirginMedia to have my external cable re-routing at the end of July.

An single engineer turned up a few weeks later declaring it a 2 man job requiring a re-pull, spray painted the revised cable route took some photos and left.

Received and appointment for 27 August

Couple of weeks later a couple of weeks later VM 2 contractors arrived unsolicited - sharp intake of breaths, "dunno why we've been called out mate, we only dig up the highways not peoples driveways". Told them i had an appointment for 27th Aug and off they went. Following day, 4 VM contractors turned up. More sharp intakes of breath, "dunno why we got called, we only dig up the highways". told them I had and appointment for 27th August and off they went. Couple of days later a VM Engineer turned up unsolicited, sharp intake of breath "You need a cable re-pull mate, and that's a 2 man job". No worries, I have an appointment for 27th August, off he went after a quick check with his manager that he shouldn't attempt a quick spliced job - but not before ,lifting the cable out of my tarmac driveway and leaving a trip hazard across the entire drive.

Day before 27th August, appointment rescheduled to 20th September - no explanation

20th September - waited in all day, no show spent 3 hours of phone to various incompetents, various excuses, council permits,etc, etc. Re-booked ofr 7th October. Complaint raised, no response

7th Oct - 2 men in Hi-Viz jackets were caught on my security camera. They had a quick look at the existing cabling jumped in their van before I could even get out of the house. Not even the courtesy to ring the doorbell to explain why they were leaving without doing any work. another 3 hours wasted on phone, complaint raised no response. Visit rescheduled for 21st October

17th October infamous text advising 21st appointment. This time I am prepared as I have the Field Support team number (which I can only ring at 08:00am on the day of installation). I phone my local council confirmed VM had not applied for a permit, nor did they need one for a cable re-pull.

21st October - logged onto my online account at 07:30 to get the reference number and account number prior to my 08:00am call to ensure they had all the right people lined up for todays work - to my surprise the appointment had been rescheduled to 3rd November ... no notification, no apology, nothing. Another several hours later and finally after speaking to disconnections team a helpful chap advised they need council approval and have to do the work on the day the council tell them to. Absolution tosh, spoke to council again. No permit requested, no need for permit

Can anyone help get my nightmare resolve or should i cut loose and move over to BT or Sky as I am at my wits end,. this is the worst customer service experience I have experienced in my entire life ... to add insult to injury my direct debit went out yesterday paying for this installation despite it not being undertaken and with no hope that it will be on 3rd November either.

Help !!!

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: External cabling re-routing request - 3 months and counting for a cable re-pull

Hey @jcort,

Thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums with the problems getting your repull completed.

I can see from your account that you have spoken with the team today, I will get in touch with the area manager to see if there is anything that can be done to escalate this.

Regards,

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
jcort
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: External cabling re-routing request - 3 months and counting for a cable re-pull

Hi Steven

Thanks you for taking the time to respond to me. How is your dialogue going with the Area Manager - surely he or she have had time to come up with a credible excuse by now. I ask because BT are very keen to help remove my 3 month misery very quickly and sign me up for 24 months.

I must give you a little assistance when you do eventually get a response back, which as a long standing customer i know will be real soon as I must be a priority after 3 months of waiting and time wasting. If you response involves mention of Council permits, your Area Manager will be telling porkie pies. I have spoken with my Councils Street Works department twice this week, in fact the very man who reviews and approves these requests and he confirms no such requests have been received  for either my roar or the road with the junction box from the date I made at the beginning of August to date. Furthermore he advises unless VM have to dig up the road or pavement, there is absolutely no requirement for a permit for a straightforward re-pull and it is an excuse that VM often hide behind to avoid exposing their own incompetence.

Looking forward to your earliest possible response. Please, please, please do the needful as I think Joe Lycett may develop an interest in VirginMedia anytime soon for his consumer programme on TV.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me @jcort.

I apologise as I haven't heard from the area manager as of yet but I hope to have a response very soon, I will be in touch as soon as I hear anything from them.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey @jcort,

I have just heard back from the area manager and they can confirm that the appointment on 03/11 will be going ahead as this has been confirmed by the construction team.

They have also confirmed the following 'This job needs Out of Hours attendance and hence needs to be okayed with the environmental agency (noise pollution) team.'

This is the reason why there have been delays in getting this arranged.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
jcort
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Steven

Thanks for your update. Could you obtain some clarifications from the Area Manager, or better still ask him to phone me direct on the number registered against this job. The Council's works department who have been in touch with their VM Liaison Manager advised earlier today that the Area Manager would be contacting me.

When is the out of hours work planned to take place as my appointment on 3rd November is 08:00 - 13:00 GMT. Is there some work taking palce before 3rd November.

What exactly is taking place on 3rd November. I am expecting a cable re-pull, and the cable to be channeled into my driveway and then tacked round my wall to the brown junction box at the side of my house, at which point I will confirm all services are working.

I ask the above question as previous missed or rescheduled appointments have been preceded by a Text advising I do not need to be present when the work is being conducted. Who would allow unknown people to dig up their driveway without being present, or indeed how will i communicate the requirement of my driveway contractor on what is required, how are the contractors going to access my brown junction box behind a 6ft locked side gate, and who will test all services are operational if i am not there ?

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me @jcort.

I can see from the notes that you have spoken to our team since we last spoke over the forums on Monday. Did the team advise about the work to be carried out and the out of hours work.

I will get in touch with the area manager to see if they can provide more information about the work that is being carried out.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
jcort
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven

I most certainly have not spoken to the team since Monday.

However, a stroke of good fortune occurred though as I had to leave work early for an appointment yesterday, and to my surprise and delight several white vans were parked outside my property - and although no one was around at the time a few minutes later my door bell went ... it was the re-pull team. They seemed keen to avoid doing the work, but I was insistent that's what previous VM engineers had advised and two hours later after a successful re-pull a coil of cable was left on my neighbours lawn, presumably awaiting the visit on 3rd November. Unfortunately the team drove off without updating me, so I can only assume it is left for a VM chappie to come and hook it up to my brown junction box .... just hope the cable they had left is long enough to reach the required length, but I'm sure the guys will have measure the run and ensured it is long enough.

So fingers crossed for the 3rd Nov

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi @jcort,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm really glad to hear that we've been able to get the re-pull work done for you.

Please do let us know how the additional visit on November 3rd goes for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jcort
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Zach,

Thank you for taking interest in this ongoing saga.  Completely out of the blue a VM Engineer turned up on Thursday - thankfully my wife was at home, as I was at work. He managed to sort the cable out, and connected TV and broadband which is working fine, but could not connect the telephone line. Apparently that's a different connection method and requires someone else to undertake this work, or words to that effect.

But as Meatloaf once sang "2 out of 3 ain't bad"

So, the current situation is my 3rd November appointment is no longer present when I log into my Virgin Media account, so I have no idea when this special telephone cable connecting engineer will arrive

Can you investigate and confirm there is an outstanding action out there within the ether of the VirginMedia world for someone to return and connect my telephone line to the new cable, and that VM will have the decency this time to let me know in advance when the engineer is planned as my junction box is behind a locked 6ft gate and I would hate it to be a wasted journey for the engineer if no one was home.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos