Menu
tinky99
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

External cable uncovered

Hi, 

I recently signed up with Virgin and realised that the wiring running from the ground to the external brown box is completely uncovered. The previous owner said there never was any cover or trunking on this with the installation a couple of years back. Photo below:  

20201206_110337.jpg

Although services working fine at present, my issue is that this is in plain sight at the front of the house- and could easily be tampered with, resulting in broadband and phone line loss (and therefore affect cctv, alarm dialler etc.). 

Is it possible for someone from Virgin to rectify this please?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: External cable uncovered

The installation was accepted by the original customer.  It won't be a simple matter to change it and if Virgin are able to do so you would be charged for the work.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They could rectify it at a cost of £99 by adding bright green trunking around the cable, but then it would (to me at least) look like a complete eye sore. 

Or you could do something yourself. 

A far better idea would be to ensure you have backup broadband for when VM have an outage. Personally I have BT and a mobile data plan, my router automatically switches to the BT connection should the Virgin one go down. 

For the record, mine looks exactly the same and I'm quite happy with it as the cable itself is quite tough. Your not going to cut through it easily without a saw or bolt cutters. It's not thin cable like BTs. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nothing a bit of white and brick red paint would resolve?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just walk down any street near me and you will see hundreds like yours.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi that is a normal install and quite neat, I think engineers have much more pressing jobs to do restoring people's services that are not working. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
tinky99
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thanks to all for the replies- it's good to get an idea of what others' are like and potential solutions. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos