Menu
aventinus
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

External Work Needed Despite Site Saying Otherwise

Hi,

I have been a Virgin Media customer for a few months. I recently decided to move to a new flat. Checked the website months in advance and Virgin Media service was available at the new place. I informed Virgin Media about the move 5 weeks in advance and set up an installation date. 

Two days before the installation date I received a message informing me that the installation date has been moved to three weeks later due to external work that needs to be done outside the building.

Since that date, I have been calling Virgin Media on a daily basis. Every day a representative tells me that the external work will be completed on the same day I am calling or the following day. Every day this is proved to be a lie. I have been asking Virgin Media employees whether they can guarantee to me that I will have service on the new installation date, however, no one does (as expected). 

I have been working from home and have been forced to use my mobile data which has been extremely stressful. My work performance depends on my internet connection. 

To other Virgin Media customers: Have you experienced this? How long was needed for the problem to be solved?

To Virgin Media: Is this how you treat customers? If I had known that this would happen I would have opted for another company. You cannot tell people that your service is available when clearly it is not, this is fraud.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Work Needed Despite Site Saying Otherwise

Just because the website says the service passes your house does not mean there will not be issues found with the underground ducts. If issues are found then you are at the mercy of several third party operators before you can get a service.

If the cable pull team (third party contractors) find a blockage they contact Virgin, who then contact a construction contractor. They draw up plans for the work & submit it to the Local Authority. The Local Authority (after a delay of 2 to 8 weeks) issues a permit to complete the work which the construction contractor then schedules & completes, before finally calling in the repull contractor again to finish the job.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
aventinus
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd, thanks for the clarification.

I understand this, the thing I am struggling with is the fact that I informed Virgin Media about the move 5 weeks in advance exactly to avoid this situation. The fact that they moved the installation date at the last minute tells me that they did not bother to check whether external work was needed until that moment. Meaning that I did my part but they did not.

Furthermore, there is a clear lack of communication from Virgin Media's side, which is ironic considering that VM is a communications company. It would have been easier for me to digest the delays if they were communicating to me what exactly the problem is and why I have to wait, as well as giving me regular updates (even if automated). Effectively, I have been kept in the dark and I have learned more from threads like this rather than speaking with VM's representatives.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM are not proactive with installs or duct maintenance - they wait for a customer to order their service and then book the install - any work can take place up to the day of install - if problems are found then they are resolved going forward

they [VM] now know of a problem to service your property and as said will work to resolve it - if that problem and delay causes you to cancel then all work orders will be cancelled and if you or a new tenant sometime in the future decides to install VM BB then the cycle starts again - i dont think they would even log there is a known problem as of today just start the install cycle again and the same delays would kick in when the try to install - right or wrong its how their system works

communication - its basic and poor - the are coordinating the install between a number of different people/departments - some external who seem at best not to communicate with each other in a timely fashion - the customer is one in that chain and are the last one to find out anything

Tony
0 Kudos
aventinus
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for confirming.

What I am trying to convey here is that this behaviour is unacceptable, especially since it is easily rectified (just be a bit more proactive and communicate any issues with the clients). What is the point of telling customers to notify VM of any moves as soon as possible if you're not going to act on it?

Internet connection is not a luxury anymore, it's a crucial part of our work and personal lives. Depriving someone of their internet connection may mean that you're depriving them of their ability to work, especially in the year of covid.

At the very least they could provide me with a 4G internet dongle to be able to work until the service is installed.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

unacceptable ? - with respect you are ordering a domestic product - there is no SLA - it works the vast majority of the time - when it fails VM will sort it - in their own time - this falls into that

they have a business arm - i have no idea if the install would be different and/or if not you would get compensation - its the same network but installed and maintained by a different team 

unlike BT/openreach they [VM] have no legal requirement to install even if there are ducts in your area - if problems are found and/or its too expensive they can and will refuse to install

i take your point about an internet connection being part of todays world but VM and all other isps bar BT can do as they will - you may think how they run their business unacceptably but its their business and seems to be profitable so it must work for them 

Tony
0 Kudos
aventinus
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Either we have very different standards on what corporate acceptable/unacceptable behaviour is or you missed my point.

I understand that problems like that may arise. My problem is that:

• Since I informed VM five weeks in advance about the move, they should not have waited until the very last minute to check whether external work is needed. If that's the case, then why do they ask me to notify them as soon as possible? (see attached image). If they can only check about the external work needed at the last minute, then this should be communicated in advance, i.e., something along the lines of "Virgin Media service is available at your new place, however, we may need to conduct some external work that would potentially delay the installation date. We can only check if this is required a few days in advance of the installation date."
  • Severe lack of communication in general about the problems faced and general status updates.

Furthermore, this behaviour is apparently common practice, simply google "virgin media external work" and you will find dozens of threads with hundreds of posts in total confirming this.

So considering that:

1. The problems I mentioned are easily addressable (be more proactive and communicate better with your clients), and
  2. I am not an unlucky outlier, rather this behaviour is common practice,

then yes, this is unacceptable according to my standards. If this is normal to you or you think that I should not raise awareness or be dissatisfied about it, then we simply agree to disagree.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 13.04.26.png?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@aventinus wrote:

Either we have very different standards on what corporate acceptable/unacceptable behaviour is or you missed my point.

i dont miss your point - my reply is based on how things are not how i think they should be - you dont come here for my opinion [i assume] but factual answers to your questions

I understand that problems like that may arise. My problem is that:

• Since I informed VM five weeks in advance about the move, they should not have waited until the very last minute to check whether external work is needed. If that's the case, then why do they ask me to notify them as soon as possible? (see attached image). If they can only check about the external work needed at the last minute, then this should be communicated in advance, i.e., something along the lines of "Virgin Media service is available at your new place, however, we may need to conduct some external work that would potentially delay the installation date. We can only check if this is required a few days in advance of the installation date."

again my answers are based on history - your point is fair but its not how it works - ordering in advance is to get a date in the future that works for you - i.e. a tech and construction team will be available - ordering in the future does not mean they will do anything outside their normal practice which is attempt a cable pull a few days before the install date and see if any problems exist - i neither defend or criticise just say it as it works 

• Severe lack of communication in general about the problems faced and general status updates.

again i dont add my thoughts just say it as it is - their business model works like this and it suits them - CS is as it is - again its their business model

Furthermore, this behaviour is apparently common practice, simply google "virgin media external work" and you will find dozens of threads with hundreds of posts in total confirming this.

as you say - the info is there to find - as to saying its 'common practice' - its common practice for reviews to be negative as most posts on here are negative and are about problems - when things are good people accept that but generally dont comment on public sites 

So considering that:

1. The problems I mentioned are easily addressable (be more proactive and communicate better with your clients), and

of course they are but VM choose not to address them - their company - their choice 

1. I am not an unlucky outlier, rather this behaviour is common practice,

then yes, this is unacceptable according to my standards. If this is normal to you or you think that I should not raise awareness or be dissatisfied about it, then we simply agree to disagree.

as i said i dont comment just try to answer questions that are raised - we dont agree to disagree as my views are not on view here - they serve no purpose in trying to help with problems

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 13.04.26.png?

i will add - of course its unacceptable [to you] as things have not worked out as you want - i understand that but to VM its how they work - history on here and on feedback sites tell us that if we look - that seems not to worry them - will they change - i doubt it - there are parallel arguments about their dire CS - easy to change by the same arguments but again they do nothing - the product is good you just have to forget other aspects

but coming full circle you have ordered a domestic product - there is no SLA - it will be installed when it is - thats the business model for the domestic product - talk to the business section it may be different 

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM isn't going to pull a cable from the cabinet and leave the end coiled up on the pavement weeks before it's needed. This is why it's done about a couple of days before the installation date, but unfortunately a problem such as duct blockage is occasionally encountered.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @aventinus,

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the external work required before our services can be installed in your new flat.

I am so sorry that your installation has been delayed due to a duct blockage, I understand how stressful this must be to go without an internet connection. Apologies for the poor communication on this, that is not the high standard of service we aim to provide at all.

I am going to send you a private message so that I can access your account and try to get some more information on what is happening with your installation. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos