Menu
DR1409
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

External Installation Not Completed

I was due to have my cable pulling done yesterday. No one arrived. Spent 6 hours trying to get a hold of someone yesterday evening.

I was then told that there was a blockage in the road and they had to wait for planning permission before they can do any installation (not that they ever told me anything before and I had to chase for hours)

Today I called them to find out more information, they told me - no - insisted someone will arrive today. They were so adamant with their promises that they would arrive that they wouldn't even reply to any other messages asking what happens if they don't and instead kept insisting that someone will come.

I asked about the blockage and they told me that there is no issues found linked to the account (I asked 3 separate people today, 3 separate times all insisted there is no issue and someone will come today)

Of course, no one arrived. My installation is expected on Monday however I am wary that if the cable pulling isn't done, they can't install, in which case I'd rather not transfer from my current provider but VM is not providing any transparency into what is happening.

It's making me incredibly stressed and anxious and I have no idea if it's even worth sticking with VM given the obvious lack of professionalism and the lack of trust I have in them now.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Installation Not Completed

Whatever happens stick with your existing provider until your Virgin service is in and running. 

Planning permission can take 6 - 8 weeks to complete. 

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

forget the 'non' information from whoever - offshore maybe - they make it up as they go on sometimes - excuses are what comes to mind - from there its difficult to know whats happening other than normally the cable pull is a rolling date and can happen any day up to the booked install date - that should be updated on the order online

so it might all be good - you can keep at them but getting good info can be like pulling teeth

Tony
DR1409
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure how to stay with my current provider. I contacted talk talk to extend my disconnection date but they said because VM have them the date, VM has to be the people to change this. I have absolutely no idea what  to do

0 Kudos
DR1409
Tuning in
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I'm extremely confused with the planning permission part. When I spoke to them today they said that apparently there are no issues and no blockages. I've heard that from 5 different people today (3 on the phone and 2 through chat)

3 also promised and insisted that external work will be done today so obviously can't trust them.

I also can't understand why they don't start the planning permission once the initial confirmation of starting a plan with VM is done (over 6 weeks ago) instead of waiting until the day of installation to find that there are issues

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I've had these issues too many times in the past with external works, the training normal customer services has on it seems to be very minimal, but worse still the communication between the field teams and the customer services is terrible.

Have you transferred your number from TalkTalk to Virgin for Home Phone?

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
DR1409
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I've transferred my home phone over to VM from talk talk.

Exactly, I've never received such diabolical service. I'm wondering if I should just cancel the transfer and stock with talk talk. Their customer service isn't great but it's no where near as stressful as this.

Thanks for your time taken to provide this advice. I appreciate any help.

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you have to understand how it all works with VM

cable ducts are under the pavement - thay at any one time have no idea if they are clear or blocked - a new customer places an order - assuming there has been no previous install the work is booked 

thats 

cable pull by an external contractor and then internal installation by a VM tech

a work order is booked for the cable pull that can happen any time before the internal install - the external contractor then attempts to pull the cable - it is only at that point than problem [if any] are found

if the duct is found to be duct they will attempt to clear it with push rods afaik but if that cannot be done then they need to dig at the blockage point - whilst planning permission is not needed from the council a work order is - thats out of VM's hands and the usual time for that to be granted is about 6 weeks

thats how it works - VM do not pro actively maintain the ducts - they solve problems as they arise

if it is a blockage and you cancelled - they would not repair the duct that they know to be blocked they would leave it until the next customer ordered and the whole process would start again

right or wrong thats how it works

Tony
DR1409
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for explaining the situation.

They have changed their stance and said there is absolutely no blockage so I really don't understand what to expect now. First they said there is a blockage issue, now saying everything is fine and the external cable pull will be done... Constantly making promises of them coming yesterday/today which never happens.

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DR1409 wrote:

Yes I've transferred my home phone over to VM from talk talk.

Exactly, I've never received such diabolical service. I'm wondering if I should just cancel the transfer and stock with talk talk. Their customer service isn't great but it's no where near as stressful as this.

Thanks for your time taken to provide this advice. I appreciate any help.

As long as the number transfer to Virgin is delay the TalkTalk service 'should' remain active, however I'm not sure if the number transfer will be scheduled to transfer on the originally agreed install date...

As far as cancelling the services goes that's a choice you would need to make, I can only say it depends how the service with TalkTalk was, and why your leaving TalkTalk for Virgin....

I manage multiple broadband services across multiple addresses and most recently I moved into a new property in November and had issues with having Virgin installed install was delayed 3 weeks and likely longer if it wasn't for the VM Forum team but now I'm leaving to another provider as its going to be more suitable over Virgin.. despite the slower speeds there's more to Internet than just speed and particularly download speed.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction