Menu
EG-Barry
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

External Installation Not Completed - New Customer

I'm having Virgin Media installed to replace BT as I want faster broadband, with two adults working from home and two teenagers home studying.  I've signed up for the 516MB broaband, Virgin TV and phone.

I'm having drive relaid and so booked the external installation for 4 February to tie in with this.   I took the day off work and waited - technician didn't show.  It took me over two hours on the live chat system to discover that they could not tell me why the technician didn't show; and, to rebook the appointment for 5 February.  I arranged to work from home and waited - technician didn't show on 5 February either.

I called on morning of 6 February.  VM apologised for the technician not arriving on 5 February and assured me technician would be here on 6 February in the morning.  They did not speak to the subcontractor, and there is no way for me to track or confirm online or by phone.  The track order functionality says a technician will be with me on 6th for pre-install, but it said that on 4th and 5th, so I have little confidence!  At 1430 on 6 February still no sign of technician.

The work on the drive is now at a stage where if the external installation is not completed by midday on Monday 8th February, I will have to cancel with VM before my service even starts.  I'm reluctant to have a brand new driveway and path drilled into or lifted for the cable.  I'm also getting a bit peeved with VM's customer service and how long it takes to do anything and that their pre-install phone line is closed.  I'm now worrying that if I have problems after the install that it will be just as challenging and frustrating dealing with their customer services.  I empathise with VM that COVID makes providing customer services difficult, but after almost a year I would expect them to have systems in place.

Does anybody have a phone number for someone sensible I can speak to about pre-install ssues such as this?  

Should add that I doubt there is a problem with the cables under the pavement, as it is a newly cabled area and three of my nearest neighbours have had VM installed within the past 4-5 months.  If there is a problem nobody from VM or their subcontractor has told me about it.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Installation Not Completed - New Customer

You last thing you want is a cable directly underneath your driveway. If it needs replacing or you change providers how will they do it?

The best thing you can do is install a duct underneath your driveway. Install pull rope and the installation can be completed once your driveway is complete and it also makes maintenance of the cable easy. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if it has to go under your drive because that the only route then follow the advice above - if thats not practical or you dont want to do that then look at alternatives - clip to a fence - lay in in soil or a lawn adjacent to the new drive

and is there anything VM or the contractor are not telling you - yes - the pre-pull / cable laying is not to a date schedule - its a rolling date any time up to the install date - so whats happening is typical - if the system works they will get there as and when on any day upto and including the day of install

Tony
0 Kudos
skaracay
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Is what I read above real?

I contracted as a new customer.

I can exit without using it.

0 Kudos
EG-Barry
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks to -tony- and Z92

Cable has to go under the driveway.  There is no alternative route - Virgin's contractors did not put the pavement box in the most sensible place! 

Looks like I'll be laying a duct on Sunday - driveway contractors not on site then.  Although I remember doing fibre installs in offices for a short time when on the tools in the mid 1990s - I don't know if fibre has got more or less flexible since then and if it is still as delicate.  Obviously that impacts on radius of curves and depth etc.

If Virgin had done a survey as I requested (they said didn't need as had done neighbours - but everyone has different drive and garden layout), I'd know what was necessary. 

Thanks for letting me know that the pre-install date in my order list is just a guide.  Unfortunate that Virgin staff didn't let me know that.....

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They can move the pavement box. They are typically in the preferred location at the time. 

Are you sure you are getting fibre? Very few properties get that, most get coaxial which is a lot tougher, and thicker!

You can indeed request a site survey and talk to the staff laying the cable, but often the information isn't stored or is lost and then they just do it the way they want to anyway! 

DR1409
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm in exactly the same situation - they were meant to come on the 4th to do external works ahead of my installation on the 8th. 

Honestly I'm sick on VM already. Countless hours spent on the phone just waiting for a reliable answer and being given false information like you were (they will come today and never come)

If you manage to get a conclusion, please let me know. I'm super stressed about it!

EG-Barry
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I naively assumed that fibre to property meant to house.  Maybe it means to the pavement box / boundary!

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

fttp is to the external wall box afaik - VM have installs like that

other configuration is fibre to the main exchange/cabinet other cabinets in the are are then connected by coax - the cable from your local cabinet is also coax

Tony
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@EG-Barry wrote:

I naively assumed that fibre to property meant to house.  Maybe it means to the pavement box / boundary!

Blame marketing, when they decided that anything over DSL was considered fibre, then other companies started misusing the term fibre too because they didn't want to sound inferior. When I signed upto BT years ago I was on a fibre broadband deal which meant fibre to the local cabinet and then copper to your house. VM typically use fibre to the main distrubtion cabinet and then coax to other cabinets and to your house, although they do use fibre to the property now in some cases (as do BT and others). 

At work we have 10gbps broadband, now that I suspect is true fibre broadband as I don't consider that speed to be easily available over other current methods, we also a have a backup 1gbps provided by VM over coax. 

0 Kudos