cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Cable needs moved/removed

Niall1990
Joining in

Hi

I am currently a Virgin Media customer. There is cable that runs from my old NTL/Virgin box at the front of the house and appears to run through the frame of my front door into some kind of junction box, then back outside and and up the outside wall of the house to the first floor. I am not sure if this cable is redundant or in use. While I dont use a landline phone, my router is plugged into the phone line on the first floor, and I am worried this cable feeds that box, otherwise I would jsut pull the cable out myself.

I am going to be getting gas installed in next few months and in order to install the meter, the gas company needs this cable moved/removed. There is no slack on the cable to allow me to do this myself. How do I go about getting this sorted?

thanks,

24 REPLIES 24

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ordinarily this sort of work is classed as a "non-fault callout" and can be arranged via the standard faults route at a cost of £99

If you can post some pictures of the cabling & junction boxes etc, this may just help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is there not another co-ax point in that room? Can you not trace the cable from where it re-enters upstairs. Sounds a bit like my set up where the external cable serves a co-ax point for connection of an additional V6 TV box. Did you ever have a TV box up there?

To get it removed I dont advise doing it yourself as the cables will all need to terminated correctly and power level may need adjusting. Call it in. As its a non-fault call out they will charge a £99 fee for that work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Unless it's an old phone installation. I've got this back from the dialup days and Diamond Cable..

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you say - my router is plugged into the phone line on the first floor

VM do not use the phone line to plug the router into - so unless you have the terminology wrong that makes no sense

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good spot Tony. If your Hub is connected to the box up there and working then as soon as it is removed you BB is gone. Is the cable feeding that box?

Can you post up a photo of it?

If so you need VM tech visit to move it all and rebalance the signals - for that £99 charge

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me. Firstly, I am an idiot who cant track a wire correctly, the cable actually appears to be the overhead telephone line. It comes through my door frame to some kind of box that is fixed to the door itself (see second photo below, a bit hard to make out). then back out through the door frame and to the Virgin box. I could have possibly re-routed it if it didnt come through the door, but i cant see anyway I could do it myself.

60e60132c6b4a_1.jpg

3.jpg4(1).jpg

My terminology will definitely be wrong, sorry! The router is plugged into some kind of junction box on the first floor. However its irrelevant anyway because its not going to that at all, see my other response

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Niall1990 wrote:

My terminology will definitely be wrong, sorry! The router is plugged into some kind of junction box on the first floor. However its irrelevant anyway because its not going to that at all, see my other response

That's a somewhat confusing set of pictures!

Is the property a single dwelling or a ground floor/first floor split into flats (or has it been as flats in the past)? If it is split into flats are you on the ground or first floor?

The photo of the black door frame looks like it has a BT junction box at the top which is presumably coming in from the wire overhead?

The wire below, is that 'This cable' from the grey junction box photo?

Are there any more cables dropping down below on the inside of door frame from the BT junction box and continuing out of shot of the photo?

Does the below make more sense? The cable is shown in green

The property is a single dwelling, and there are no other cables coming out of the junction box. One cable in from the virgin box, and one cable out that leads to the overhead cable

0001.jpg