cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Brown Box Damaged as Expected

MV20
On our wavelength

Hi. I signed up to VM two weeks ago, not turned on yet as I had to give 1 month notice to Sky so will be up and running around 5th of May. 

The engineer came to fit the external brown box, but he never knocked on the door, so by the time we realised he was there, he was done. I feel like the box is in the wrong place for a couple of reasons (one being that it comes into the house as far away from where the indoor boxes need to be as possible) but mainly because it's on a high foot-traffic path which my house is on. I mentioned in the original post (here) that I felt it was a matter of time until it was damaged in some way.

I woke up today with the lid of the box open, no damage has been done to anything inside from what I can tell, but this just confirmed my fears. The lid will now not close, I've tried using cable ties but the whole front of the box is now loose and easily opened should they want to get in to damage it further. 

Is there someone I can speak to to get this sorted? Ideally it  would be better to move it but failing that it needs to be secured better (even a metal box if possible?)

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would be best to organise to be available for the technician and discuss if you can move this box.

AFAIK, all VM Omniboxes are plastic, not metal.  If you needed a metal cage, perhaps someone near you could manufacture something to suit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MV20
On our wavelength

Thanks for replying. I've just got off the phone with VM and they've arranged for an engineer to come and look at the box. I asked them to put a note on the request to ask the engineer to knock on the door when they come so I can discuss it with them and maybe work out putting it in a better place. Don't know if they will but I can only ask.

It's weird they only have plastic boxes, I've seen a lot of people on here reporting damaged boxes, would probably be cheaper in the long run to use metal ones instead, surely the cost of repairs all the time soon adds up?

Thanks again.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure if the costs of getting metal boxes will outweigh the fixing of the plastic ones?  There are millions of VM users and a very small proportion complain here.  In balance, my old NTL box is still in use and that's very, very old, back from the days of 512K broadband and Terayon modems.   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MV20
On our wavelength

Ah fair point. You get a skewed perception of customers on web forums, Your mind starts to think 10 complaints on here equates to a large percentage of the whole customer base.

Hi @MV20 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear of the issues you have had with the omni box. Glad to hear that you have an engineer booked to investigate this further. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

MV20
On our wavelength

Hi, thanks for replying. 

The engineer was supposed to come today but never turned up. I was told up to 48 hours but I'm not sure of the rep said they "aim" to be within that time, is that right? I'm in tomorrow anyway so I'll keep an eye out for them.

Thanks again.

MV20
On our wavelength

Well, this isn't going well. I've waited in three days for the engineer to come out and nobody has arrived. Doesn't bode well for the service, I'm not yet turned on (due the 5th) and am already worried about the service I'm getting. Had this been a major issue, then I'd be sat with no internet and/or TV. I'm disabled, these things are my life-line to the outside world. I cancelled Sky and came to VM because the offer was worth me swapping, worried I may have made a mistake now. 

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. The box is currently covered and attached with cable ties, so it's not the end of the world, but the fact I'm being ignored (not by people on here) is worrying. 

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that the engineer hadn't turned up as arranged. 

The omni box cover should be replaced with your in installation date and you would not need another appointment for just your omni box cover unless there was an issue with cover after your installation date. 

Was the appointment that you were waiting for an external installation work for your install or for something else? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Compensation is due for engineer no shows