Menu
ToMr3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Extension cabe / replacement

Hi,

I am a new customer, installed VM myself with very user friendly manual and simple steps - no problems.

But I need to move the modem and TV box to the other corner of the living room, so I need some 13-15m of cable.

The installation guy can't come due to lockdown, it's not possible to send me the cable itself. The installation should be simple - plug and play.

Since I am not a 'cable saavy' - could someone please share a link where I could buy a suitable cable, or confirm that the below one will work? I have the "push don't screw" connectors. Does the original connection cable between the wall socket and the splitter need to be kept (tv/internet)?

Thank you in advance! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-50M-Satellite-F-Connector-Extension-Cable-For-Sky-Lead-TV-Freesat-Virgi...

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extension cabe / replacement

Get £99 ready 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
ToMr3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Still in the "new customer period" 😉
But by the time the installation support ban is lifted, I will most likely miss it though.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You cannot use any cable other than that supplied by VM, it’s special triple screened cable and it’s against the T&C to install your own. Also a cable of that length will most certainly change your signal levels and will possibly need the technician to make changes at the street cabinet. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
ToMr3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro,

thanks for your response.

Two people on the VM support line told me to I can buy online. One of them was trying to help me out looking for it on Amazon and that 15m will not make any difference.

That's strange. Has anyone here already done it?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi as others have pointed out this is not a DIY thing the correct cable must be used, and it will affect your signal levels which have to be adjusted between your box and the street cabinet.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Its normally easier to shorten the cable as any increase in the power level can to controlled by a FPA. Unforetunately increasing that length will reduce the power level and if drops too low will need adjustment at the tap point.

Even if the power level are still within the range with the longer cable I would not recommend a 3rd party cable.

Its £99 or next time the VM service breaks and engineer is needed you can donate some funds towards their drinks..a few drinks 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos