Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Existing user broadband upgrade

Does anyone else find it impossible to upgrade your broadband via the website?

You enter your postcode to find out you can upgrade to 500Mbps for example, only to sign-in to your account to find out it says you already have the fastest speed and cannot upgrade.

Yet if you go the new customer route it will go as far as letting you choose the option and payments.

I thought all this crap had been stopped!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Existing user broadband upgrade

cannot answer your question but would add a comment - any upgrade via the website is at standard charges - theres no guarantee it will be cheaper to upgrade via a call to retentions but its always worth calling as they can have deals and offers 

usual route 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I just don't want to have to speak to someone to get asked questions they already have the answers too as I'm signed in.

Iwent through the chatbot rubbish and customer service rep earlier for them to try and force me to decide on the spot because it might not be available later in the day and for something which should be a two minute job!

I switched my MORTGAGE with Barclays via my mobile app in about 3 clicks! This is a 60 quid utility bill fgs!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm in the same boat. Currently, half an hour waiting for someone to answer my call just to upgrade my broadband.

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not that it helps but the website said I could have upto 500mb broadband, where the logged in upgrade page says I can only get 350! 

Considering they have your address in both cases it's surprising how they can offer 2 different speeds! 

I just assumed one was based on area and the other was supposed to be "reliable". 

Then again it says on their website that their broadband is 99.9% reliable. LOL ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM's web sites are an unmitigated disaster, and the company have had this pointed out repeatedly.  That's why the web site has contradictory, missing or wrong information, and why the facilities for managing ALL aspects of your relationship with VM online do not exist.  VM customer service is firmly stuck in 1997.

But as with so many things VM nobody is accountable for the inadequate and infuriating webs*ite, nobody will crawl out of the bushes and admit they are in charge of this mess, nobody will take ownership, and those VM people who understand the problem clearly are not listened to.

I think that sorts out the "why" element of your question.  As to what you could upgrade to, and how, only way is to dial back in time and speak to VM's agents.

To anybody thinking about upgrading their speed, I'd say give thought to why they wish to.  Even a 100 Mbps has plenty of spare capacity supporting multiple home-workers, unless they need to regularly download multi gigabyte files.  If they're struggling to work at the moment then consider whether that's because the existing connection isn't working properly, or is in fact a wifi constraint.  A typical complaint is that video or voice conferencing doesn't work properly, and that's almost never a bandwidth ("Speed") problem, and almost always a latency or packet loss issue, and increasing the connection speed won't address that one bit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

thinking about upgrading their speed, I'd say give thought to why they wish to.  Even a 100 Mbps has plenty of spare capacity supporting multiple home-workers, unless they need to regularly download multi gigabyte files.  If they're struggling to work at the moment then consider whether that's because the existing connection isn't working properly, or is in fact a wifi constraint.  A typical complaint is that video or voice conferencing doesn't work properly, and that's almost never a bandwidth ("Speed") problem, and almost always a latency or packet loss issue, and increasing the connection speed won't address that one bit.

I know one person who can't work with a 100 Mbps connection, but it's not because they download big files. It's because upload bandwidth on the 100 Mbps connection is 10Mbps which is slower than even BT over copper cable! It's ridiculous that we still have such slow upload rates, but I guess a lot of people would downgrade their package if they increased them. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The simple reality is they are trying to upsell products - landline and TV bundles - and force you to have to speak to someone on the phone!

Very few people need a landline these days. And most TV/Film streaming services are being de-bundled.

If I need a streaming TV/film service I will simply sign-up to it and stream via my 2020 Chromecast. And cancel it anytime i want as its per monthly billing.

I have no desire to turn a £60/month essential service into a £120/month bundle of crap for at least 18 months!

0 Kudos