Menu
Shill1958
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Everyone has virgin in SW18 but me!

Hello,

I live on a private estate (SW18 - London) and I assume this is why I haven't got Virgin yet as every street which surrounds me does. Please, could someone from Virgin tell me now I can get connected? Either if you plan to do it or to arrange an engineer to come out and give me a quote and The 9 residence can pay for it. 

Many thanks, Stephen. 

0 Kudos
moneill6720
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Everyone has virgin in SW18 but me!

@Shill1958 wrote:

Hello,

I live on a private estate (SW18 - London) and I assume this is why I haven't got Virgin yet as every street which surrounds me does. Please, could someone from Virgin tell me now I can get connected? Either if you plan to do it or to arrange an engineer to come out and give me a quote and The 9 residence can pay for it. 

Many thanks, Stephen. 

this has happend with my friend also on a private estate they will not do anything unless all 9 of you say you want it and then they will add you to a "list" however as its a private estate they need to get permission from who ever owns that and the people living on it 

0 Kudos
Shill1958
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. 

What I can't understand is they've laid the cables everywhere else but they seem to avoid private estates, which hold the simular costing and same likelihood of wanting to join virgin.

The land is owned by the residents. Is that why they avoid private estates as they can't be bothered gaining access /permission?

0 Kudos
smorrisby
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Should you ever get a reply from them I think you may be horrified by what Virgin will quote you for the civil works. It will be a major project involving all manner of plans approvals, rights of way, surveys and contractors. It's more than just digging a trench and chucking in a cable.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you read these Forums carefully you will see that VM will not cable in roads which have not been adopted by the local authority. This is because of the inordinate difficulties of securing the necessary wayleaves for such installations. Which is probably why your estate was excluded from the initial cable builds done by VM's predecessor companies for exactly the same reasons. With adopted streets VM only need one permission from the local authority as the street owner.

Worse still VM's infill programme is now full until after 2020 so no chance of this work being done even supposing they are willing to break their practice of not cabling in private roads. And as infill the most expensive way of extending a cable network they won't be very keen anyway.

Don't hold out any hope of a positive reply from VM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos