Menu
summercake
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable in wall to coax

Hi there,

I have a question regarding my setup for virgin media but apologies if I miss out some information as I’m not the most technical person! But would really appreciate any help. 

I've just moved into a new apartment which is part of one house separated into 5 separate flats. I am on the 2nd floor. 

I ordered the quick start for virgin media broadband and was told the house was already set up. 

When the hub arrived, I realised I had no coax connection coming directly into my room, and no coax socket, but only a cat6 Ethernet line that travels to my room from the bottom of the house where the virgin media box is, although it’s currently not connected to anything down there. 

Upon explaining to my landlord that virgin media use coax cables to supply internet to the master socket, he told me that no additional drilling or cables would be permitted to install, and that my Ethernet line is all that’s needed for virgin to connect me. 

My question is, would virgin media to able to somehow convert this Ethernet line at both ends to a coax cable so that I could connect my hub, yet have the connection run down the Ethernet line in the wall? I know that this is not how things are normally done, but would it be possible? If not, I will have to cancel my order as the other other option would be to install a coax cable through the house and up into my room. Which my landlord is convinced isn’t necessary and will not permit. 

The virgin box is already on the house and everything else is ready to go. I have an engineer booked soon and I’m wondering if I should just cancel as I have serious doubts that they will be able to use that Ethernet cable in my room and will just tell me they need to install a full coax line. 

Any would would be massively appreciated!
Thank you! 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet cable in wall to coax

Virgin cable is DOCSIS based. It uses radio frequencies. You cannot connect a satellite dish to a Sky box or a rooftop Freeview aerial to a TV set with Ethernet, & the same applies to Virgin. The hub has to be where the coax finishes. It cannot be routed through any other type of cable.

Also with Virgin the coax has to protect the signals inside the cable from radio interference outside it, as Freeview & DAB digital radio services will interfere with Virgin services. As a result Virgins coax is specially shielded to stop this ingress.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the only thing you can do with the hib is install the hub down at where the coax is and then connect the hub to the ethernet up to your room.

You could then run the hub in modem mode and install your own router to the ethernet point upstairs.

this will work for the internet but not for any TV or phone services.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the landlord says you only need the ethernet cable to connect to Virgin, that suggests to me that he is offering you a connection to a shared service with a Hub installed somewhere down below. 

If that is the case you won't need a Virgin account, but it doesn't sound very satisfactory. 

Try connecting a laptop or similar to the ethernet and see if you can see the Internet. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been in a set of flats where it was 12 flats in one building, and the setup was kind of strange. Internet was provided by VM, one router on a 100mb connection shared between 12 flats over an ethernet socket in each lounge. Phone services were provided by BT to each room, and TV was FreeView aerial connection. Since sharing 100mb between 12 people didn't work so well several people (maybe all? only knew a few of them) paid BT for a internet connection which got them around 40mb and came with a free hub. I guess some people just didn't get "ethernet" either, wondering how they plugged their phone or tablet into it. Would have been a lot simpler to just put a WiFi AP at the three different floors of the building. 

0 Kudos
summercake
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Is this something virgin could assist with since the Ethernet cable at the end down by the box has been cut with currently no socket on the end. 

Do you think the technician could assist us further with connecting the hub as a modem to our flat (with us providing the external router of course), or will they just see their work as done once the virgin hub is set up?

Also, this setup would require the virgin hub to be left outside the house, would this be unsafe? 

all the best! 

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

if the ethernet cable has been cut downstairs and there is no socket for it then i am afraid you will need to speak with your landlord as the technician will not be able to remake that.
You have 3 choices:

1. Install the hub downstairs and use wifi only if it reaches upstairs.

2. Have the landlord repair the ethernet, install the hub downstairs and connect to that repaired cable. Then upstairs install your own router or access point.

3. Ask the landlord to let you install a VM point in your flat. Its a simple case of running a cable from the box on the front of the house. This will be part of your install and no additional costs. I dare say the landlord would need to pay someone to repair the ethernet so it might be better for them too.

Option 3 is the best for yourself,.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@summercake unfortunately I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a complete non-starter, but something I’m not clear about. The Ethernet cable from your flat, where exactly does it go to? When you mention the ‘VM box’ do you mean the box on the outside wall where the cable comes up from the ground? From this ‘omnibox’ there needs to be another coax cable coming into the building and it is this cable which needs to be connected to the VM hub and then your Ethernet cable needs to go from your flat to where the hub is. I have just got a bit confused when you talk about the hub needing to be ‘outside’

John

0 Kudos