Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet behing my VM blanking plate?

Hi all, 

I'm in an new build, but HFC area.

Behind my Virgin blanking plate I have green ethernet, rather than the expected coax... can anyone shed any light on why / what this is for? 

The other option is of course that Barratts have wired ethernet in there for no reason whatsoever, the VM point upstairs is coax.. 

Pictures! - https://imgur.com/a/uUTEUos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet behing my VM blanking plate?

Hi Synthetic,

From the pictures you've provided it does look like it is an ethernet cable. Now you just need to find the other end of the cable as you can use this cable to provide a wired connection to another part of your house. You will need a few tools to terminate the cables but theres many videos on youtube showing you how you can do this.

Best of Luck 😊

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think (am probably wrong) that is an FTP cable end.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Nothing to do with FTP at all, it's a cable 🙂 

Decided to look in the box outside, it literally goes nowhere so i think i'll use it to PoE my security camera! 

Pic 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was wrong them 😁

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

2 cables in the external box where does the other one go to - that could be interesting if you want a point downstairs

i am wondering if the green cable was/is for a phone line - redundant now as all new installs are voip but maybe that was not the case when the original cable laying was done

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Grr taking a look at the surface of the cable, all Ethernet cables are marked with their type and often a length marker.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Might also be an idea to see what the neighbours have along the same lines.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When a developer installs Ethernet cabling the source is usually a comms cupboard with power sockets and where the hub will be located.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a multimedia plate (where Tv connection is) should find rg6( co axial type)cable there. Normally routed to a point in lounge and one upstairs through fabric of building.

If already terminated looking for screw on connector should have VM written on it.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos