cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential network works email received

Gerry_Atric
Dialled in

Hello all

I received an email today advising of some works taking place in two days time as below - 

We’re carrying out essential works to modernise and future-proof our network in your area on Wed 06 Oct. This should improve your connection so you can carry on enjoying the things you love most.

Your services might be affected for a little while on the day, but we should have you back up and running again at around 6pm.

For more info, head here.
Speak soon,
The Virgin Media team

I did want more information about this but the link wasn't telling anything further that the email hasn't already.

So, can anyone explain what these works are all about? Is it anything to get excited about?

My first thought was, perhaps they are upgrading the area for DOCSIS 3.1 which would be great if it means lower latency and greater capacity. Presumably that requires a Hub 4.0 for that to happen. 

I really do miss the updates from the likes of Alex Brown in the Telewest Blueyonder days, he used to go into some detail about planned works, such as adding more capacity by resegmentation work and so on.

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

On the last similar letter I received like this, there was a 'Planned Outage Team' number.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Planed-maintenance-how-long-Starting-when/m-p/...

Never tried it myself and it might be as hopeless as VM's other phone contact methods but, since it is an 0800 number, you could try it.

Thank you! That's very helpful.

I saw mention by someone on that thread of equipment being upgraded for 1gig services, that sounds promising.

I wondered if lowly SH3 users like me noticed any improvements with reliability, speed and latency after these upgrades were completed? 

I'll give that number a call and see if they are willing to give some more details about this upgrade. 

Planned outage for network upgrades for me Wednesday 6th October LS13 areaa 22.