Menu
ArcaneSR
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Engineering Plans

Hello

Basically I am a new Virgin customer and after signing up I got a text saying that the engineer has to do some external work. Due to the nature of my lease I cannot make alterations to the outside of the property without permission. So to get permission from my landlord I need a plan of what the engineer is planning on doing so I can then show my landlord the plan for approval.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I would get the engineers plan from the engineer before he actually begins the work?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineering Plans

VM technicians are very unlikely to any external work that is visible. They will probably only access your omnibox and local street cabinet. I think it highly unlikely that your will get full details of the work that VM have scheduled. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ArcaneSR wrote:

Hello

<snip>

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I would get the engineers plan from the engineer before he actually begins the work?

As already mentioned by @Tudor, it is doubtful you will get any kind of plan of the work involved in advance of it happening.

Does the building already have VM services/cable running to it i.e. other flats/rooms using VM in a shared property or are there no VM services to the building at present?

0 Kudos
ArcaneSR
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the answers, I am not due to move in there until the 18th, as far as I am aware there is no VM services in the building as of present. 

Basically the leaseholder of the land the property is on just said this

- "Virgin's cables cannot go across land or buildings not owned by the end user"

- "If Virgin have sent you a plan, please forward it to us" (Hence me asking if I could get a plan)

- "Has to come in through an existing line"

These requirements are annoyingly specific so I was hoping to at least be able to pass this information to the engineer as they have to be met otherwise I will get in a lot of trouble

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well, if there are no existing VM services in the building, and VM are unlikely to give you a plan in advance, then you would appear to be excluded from having VM on all three counts of the leaseholder's conditions!

Installing a new VM cable to the building will either involve digging to bury the cable or laying the cable on the surface of the ground in flexible conduit or (possibly) clipping the cable to a wall or fence if that is feasible. You seem to be excluded from this by the leaseholder's conditions. If you were really lucky, it might be possible to bring in a cable via an existing service duct to the building if there was one which VM could access.

But even if you do have a connection to the building then there could still be further cabling to be installed from that building connection point to your individual home. You seem to be excluded from doing that too via conditions 1 and 3.

One of the forum team might be able to tell you more if there has ever been an active VM service before at your new address. VM may possibly offer to survey for you but I don't know how that process works or when it applies. From what you have written, your odds of getting VM don't sound too good.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

“Has to come through an existing line”. There is your problem.

Virgin is DOCSIS cable broadband. It is, & can only be delivered via a copper coaxial cable. It cannot be delivered via a conventional Openreach phone line the same as BT/Sky/TalkTalk etc.

There are some areas with fibre only services, but these areas are very new, & even if you have existing fibre delivery to the premises it may not be possible to interconnect between Openreach & VM infrastructure.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ArcaneSR
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah I see, there is a wall next to my parking spot that could have a cable run across so no need for digging luckily. The only other solution I can think of is to come up with a plan that the Leaseholder is happy with then show up when Virgin engineer is doing the wiring (18th June) and just let them know the acceptable route. Other then that I am stumped and will have to just cancel it.

Thanks for the help guys

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ArcaneSR wrote:

Ah I see, there is a wall next to my parking spot that could have a cable run across so no need for digging luckily. The only other solution I can think of is to come up with a plan that the Leaseholder is happy with then show up when Virgin engineer is doing the wiring (18th June) and just let them know the acceptable route. Other then that I am stumped and will have to just cancel it.

Thanks for the help guys

Depends where the VM access point is from their ducting. If it’s nowhere near this location you will be stuck.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ArcaneSR
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Duct.png

This is the only thing down my road that looks like a duct (this is pretty much across the road from my property checked side roads and found nothing)

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can't see your pic until approved but the sort of thing you are looking for is here at message #8

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Will-VM-fibre-solve-my-problem/td-p/4452009

Might have VM branding or CATV. Usually where the edge of the pavement meets the boundary of the property served.

0 Kudos