cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer no show, no updates, and unable to talk to anyone

shrikant_n
Joining in

Hi,

I had booked my contract in mid-December (14th December 2022), and was given an install date of 13th January 2023, between 1 pm and 6 pm.

I'd received contact before this saying some work might need to be done beforehand, to which I'd said I would not be at the property, and the agent said my presence would be helpful, but was not necessary.

It's now 6.30 pm on 13th January, and I haven't heard a peep from anyone at Virgin Media. I've been on hold for ages and nothing so far.

How do I get an update on what's happening?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

jem101
Superstar

@shrikant_n wrote:

Snip...

How do I get an update on what's happening?

Thanks.

Alas, you can't! If you read some of the other stories on here regarding failed or delayed installations (the current record is slightly over 13 MONTHS, as far as we know), you will notice that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Almost certainly the external works haven't been done - these are generally carried out by a third party contractor, which in itself is fine, but VM themselves appear to have no insight as to what their contractors are doing, any control over them, and neither do they appear to be bothered by that as this has been going on for quite some time now.

If the external work hasn't been done, then there is no point the installation tech turning up - I can predict that if you do get through to VM, the customer services 'team' will tell you something along the lines of 'it has definitely been booked in for today' and the installer will absolutely be there later this evening', because that's basically all their system tells them.

And, of course, miracles do, sometimes, happen; so maybe, just maybe, the installer got delayed and will be there shortly - but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

On the other hand, you are now entitled to compensation of £26 or so for the missed appointment without 24 hours notice, plus £5.25 for today and another £5.25 for each day that passes without your broadband being connected.

Cesco
On our wavelength

I will get a huge compensation then, as it's exactly the same bad treatment they are doing to me. With the difference that my contract has been made way before yours, and I confirmed to be at home every single time. 

shrikant_n
Joining in

Well this is awkward.

Literally 30 seconds after I hit submit on my initial post, the doorbell rang and the engineer was here to set up everything -- and I'm now up and running! 😅

@shrikant_n wrote:

Well this is awkward.

Literally 30 seconds after I hit submit on my initial post, the doorbell rang and the engineer was here to set up everything -- and I'm now up and running! 😅

Well like I said, miracles do sometimes happen, although, technically as they turned up late, outside the agreed time; could that be construed as a 'missed appointment'? Probably not worth bothering with, I'm glad you got your connection sorted out.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey shrikant_n,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I'm glad that you have now had your service visit and you're back up and running now.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L