Menu
lithurge
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Engineer broke connection

This is more of a vent than expecting any answer as I've raised a complaint via the web form, but maybe it'll help somebody else.

TLDR version - engineer didn't do their job, just broke my connection for 4 1/2 days by fitting a noise blocker and support knew nothing about it.

My connection stopped working around lunchtime on the 8th. I can see the cabinet I'm connected to out of the window and noticed an engineer working on it, so assumed once he'd finished I'd be ok again. Next time I look out he's gone and still no service. So I call support who tell me they're fault checking in the area and they should have notified me and I need to wait for them to finish.

A few hours later get the 'all ok' text and still no service, so call again and I'm told there's a new fault reference and they're working on wires underground, fix date of the 14th, but I should have intermittent/slow service until that date.

No service of any sort and on Saturday 10th early morning I get a text telling me this issues fixed. As it's not fixed for me, call support again who pretty quickly agree to send an engineer to fix it, but  of course as it's Saturday I have to wait until today.

Engineer turns up, notes it's odd as I have a signal coming to the house, checks the cables inside and out (all fitted by VM when they installed the service), then heads off the cabinet and finds the last engineer had fitted a noise blocker to my line as noise was coming from my connection causing issues for others. He removed that and replaced the ends (whatever that means).

It begs a few questions:

1) Why didn't the previous engineer even attempt to visit my house to trace the cause?

2) How can they just cut off a connection without telling you (especially the day after they sent a price rise letter)?

3) Why weren't the helpdesk aware of what had happened?

4) How do I know it won't happen again, is replacing the ends enough to fix the noise issue?

5) Will VM try and wriggle out of paying me compensation as per the Ofcom scheme they signed up to by blaming it on me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer broke connection

Hi lithurge,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry you weren't made aware of the (SNR) signal noise ratio, the engineer should of put a card through your door advising the reason your services were capped off, I will get this fed back.

A SNR issue is only picked up by the faults team once this has been logged on our system, sometimes the repair is fixed before we are aware there is an issue.

We can never be sure there isn't going to be any issues however our technician would of done everything needed to get this,  resolved, if you do have any further issues please let us know and we will get a technician to get it resolved as soon as possible.

In regards to the new auto compensation you can find out more around this here .

Kind reggards

Paul.

0 Kudos
lithurge
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would you say it would be acceptable for your electrity supplier to cut your electricity off so your neighbour has a properly working supply, and then expect you to ring them up to come and fix yours?

That's effectivley what you did to me, another customer reported an issue with their service, you broke mine to fix it, I had to ring up to get an engineer out to investigate and fix mine.

What do you mean by capped off? To me capped means slower than it should be, not no internet connection at all.

As for doing everything to get this resolved this was clearly not the case, ignoring the fact they didn't put a card through my door (besides which I would expect them to ring the doorbell first to see if they could get access first to investigate, which they could have as I was in at the time) why would they need to 'cap' my service if all it needed was new end pieces put on as the engineer did yesterday?

If somebody reports issues with their connection I would expect you to investigate it, identify what the cause of the issue is and then actually fix it so it works properly for all cutomers, not put a fudge in place that fixes one customers connection at the expense of somebody elses.

Getting support to acknowledge there was an issue was also delayed by 2 1/2 days because they had no awareness I'd  been 'capped' they simply relied on the fault information you fed them which claimed there was testing and then another fault in the area. Which incidentally did not show up on your service status page, this showed everything was ok. Just as well because if they had shown a fault I may not have reported my issue on the Wednesday, which under the current wording of the compensation scheme would have meant I wouldn't qualify.

"£8 per day for a total loss of service after 2 full working days from registering the loss of service to us"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi lithurge,

Thank you for your reply,

Please accept my apologies for all, when someone is capped due to a SNR issue it is usually in that property where the issues lies, it isn't just 1 person who is affected by this it can effect hundreds of properties depending on the issue.

We cap off, in other words turn the services off so no one else is effected, once we have fixed the issue it is turned back on once the issue is resolved.

I have fed back the fact a card wasn't put through and this will be dealt with internally, this is something we expect the technicians to do every time.

When you call in in regards to a fault we can only see what has been reported I can only apologise that it took so long for this to show up as an issue.

If you would like to raise an official complaint you can find our complaints code of practice here .

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
lithurge
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

While I appreciate you are trying to help I'm not sure I've explained the sequence of events clearly enough, because I can't see at what point they were supposed to be aware I'd been capped or what you think they were fixing before turning my connection back on.

1) Friday 8th Aug, I was using my connection which was running at full speed. It stopped working in the middle of me using it and I see an engineer at the cabinet up the street, this is presumably when he put the cap on my connection.

2) A few minutes later he's gone and it's still not working so I call the support who tell me (paraphrased) 'I can see a fault report that says they are testing in the area, this is why you have no service, I will set it up so you receive a text when it's fixed'

3) Later that afternoon I receive the text saying it's fixed, but it's still not working so I call again. This time I'm told they can see a different fault report stating they are doing work in the area on wires underground. This is scheduled to finish on the 14th, with intermittent/slow connection up until that time. Again they set up the text alert

4) Early Saturday morning (10th Aug) I receive a text saying it's fixed, but I still have no connection. I again ring support who tell me there are no faults in the area and it should be working. They arrange the engineer visit on Monday 12th.

Are you saying that on the 10th they should have automatically removed the cap from the connection? Or does the card instruct you to ring up and tell them so they know to remove it when it's fixed?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi lithurge,

Thank you for your reply, so I am not just stabbing in the dark I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can have a look at the account to get more of an idea what actually happened, I will send an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
lithurge
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok
0 Kudos