Menu
samseanstringer
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

EXTERNAL WORKS DELAYED BY 2 MONTHS

Hey Guys, 

Around 6/7 weeks ago I pre-arranged for Virgin to install broadband at the new flat I was moving into (on the moving day, 1st July).

On the 10th June I received a text saying they needed to do external work, which I approved. Then yesterday (24th June) I missed a call from Virgin, followed by an email + text which said my installation had been delayed.

Upon phoning the customer service team, I was informed the new date for installation would be August 24th...

In the past 24 hours I've had about 6/7 calls with Virgin, but I've not really gotten anywhere. No one can tell me when the external works will take place or shed anymore light on why.

Is there anyone I can contact about this? It's so frustrating to know I could be waiting a further 7/8 weeks for internet!

Thank you in advance, 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: EXTERNAL WORKS DELAYED BY 2 MONTHS

I'd like to be more upbeat, but potentially you could be waiting a lot longer.  Most straightforward VM installations go OK, for anything involving flats, landlords, shared ownership, crossing third party land, access restrictions, internal trunking, working at height, or with building or equipment access permissions, and things frequently get delayed repeatedly, and sometimes never happen at all.

It has been a repeated complaint in these forums that the new connection process is disjointed, internal communication between VM teams appears to be limited to the sort of thing you could communicate by gesturing madly without speech, customer communication is poor and often inaccurate, inbound contact is nigh on impossible, and sometimes "deal blocking" problems that should have been spotted before VM agreed to connect were missed until many weeks down the line.

The forum staff will do what they can to make enquiries, but absent some immediate stepping up of things (as opposed to loose promises) you may want to consider initiating other ISP options in parallel, and then cancelling before install whichever seems to be slowest and most troublesome.  If you're determined to have VM, prepare for two weeks or more of hot-spotting off your mobile phone. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
samseanstringer
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh man. I had a feeling this could be the case. 

The customer service has honestly been so poor. Including booking me the wrong deal, the wrong date and then sending confirmation to the wrong email...

I managed to get all of the above corrected and then this new issue arrises! The main problem is I can't get a definitive date out of anyone?! Customer Service / Pre-Install team are clueless as to the finer details - and can't put me in contact with the decision makers.

An incredibly frustrating situation all round. Who would you recommend going with instead?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well, wait and see if VM pull a rabbit out of the hat in short order, but if they don't then in your shoes I'd be having a look at people like Zen Internet, uno, IDnet or Aquiss.  All smaller ISPs, but with good names for customer service.  Even though they all use Openreach (like the other majors), these companies are far better at getting the best from Openreach on provisioning and fault finding.  You will find cheaper promotional deals with the larger, better know ISPs, but customer service is often poor.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/the-best-uk-broadband-isps-ispreview-editors-pick

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @samseansringer,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear your Install has been delayed. I will pop you a PM now so we can take some details from you and advise further. 

Speak soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos