Menu
Gattino
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Do I contact my old supplier?

• Hi. I've just arranged to switch my phone and broadband from Vodafone to Virgin. Normally during a transfer from one company to another I take it as read that the new company ( Virgin) will do all the behind the scenes stuff such as informing the old company ( Vodafone) the switch is taking place.  But both the price comparison site I used and two or three Google search results suggest casually that because it's Virgin and it uses its own separate system I personally need to contact Vodafone to let them know I'm cancelling ( For the record my minimum term contract ended months ago so that's not an issue)

This is proving impossible as i can't get through to Vodafone's customer service line and there are absolutely no options for written communication. 

Now a friend who works for BT suggests I'm mistaken as THEY get " notices of transfer" from  Virgin  all the time. 

So now I'm confused. As I can't contact Vodafone the obvious solution is to check with Virgin..or rather, as it turns out, this forum.  Do I or do I not need to get in touch with Vodafone myself? Or will Virgin take care of all that?

Grateful if anyone  can clear this up definitively for me. 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I contact my old supplier?

The answer is simple but lengthy. And you would do well to follow this advice to be sure that you retain internet connectivity during the whole process.

Do not cancel all your Voda services until VM is up and running. It is worth paying the "extra" to be sure that you do not have issues with VM delaying or not succeeding with a successful installation. It happens more frequently that you might imagine.

If you want to move the phone across then you do this via Virgin Media and you should have done this when you signed up. Your Voda line MUST remain open and active while VM port the number over. That can take up to 10 days from when you request. Your phone contract with Voda will terminate when the porting os completed.

The you must cancel the rest of your your Voda services, apart from the phone, yourself.

That's how I would do it. But you will have worked out that whatever the order you chose you are responsible for cancelling all but the phone service, if you want the phone service ported across to VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gattino
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  That seems very clear and helpful.  (Though whether i have any more luck in getting through to vodafone when the time comes is a different matter!)

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You should try getting through to VM when you need to. I hope you are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos