Menu
tara_270
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Do I Have The Correct Cable To Self Install Hub?

Hi

After discovering Vodafone doesn’t provide broadband to my newly purchased flat I’ve switched to Virgin.  Have received the hub today and thought it would just plug in & go but I cannot get the white cable to connect at the wall - it doesn’t fit onto the extension coming out of the wall.  Because it’s labelled Virgin I assumed it was the fibre connection.  Is this a TV/satellite aerial instead and do I need them to come install the fibre connection?  Thanks in advance, am feeling quite stupid!

96F50ADD-2B85-40F9-8D21-7552BB02AAE4.jpeg

FFDACF20-96CD-4568-8134-062462821B57.jpeg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I Have The Correct Cable To Self Install Hub?

a bit more investigation - i assume the cable going into the telephone box is coming through the wall - difficult to see

the other fitting is wrong but whats behind it - will the front half of the fitting unscrew or pull off - the plastic on the wall looks like the mounting for an internal VM wall box 

so see what comes to bit on that fitting - hopefully you will filish up with something usable - dont try to get the fitting off the end of the cable - you need that attached

post some more photos

Tony
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes.. someone has screwed on a RF plug but you can unscrew it but will need one of these.

You can get them from and DIY shops.

Connector.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@sayekm wrote:

Yes.. someone has screwed on a RF plug but you can unscrew it but will need one of these.

You can get them from and DIY shops.

Connector.jpg

i think there might be one of those fitted - removing the front fitting will tell you - if you do need one B & Q 

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Never a bad idea to have spares 🙂

From the last Virgin engineer I received few cables different lengths and couple euro style wall isolators 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
tara_270
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both.  The white cable from the box goes into the wall, the black cable is separate and comes out of the same hole in the wall.  I’ve unscrewed two additional connectors that have been added to it (see photos).  I’ll buy the suggested connector from b&q and see if that manages to join it all up.  Fingers crossed!  Appreciate your help.

11B52694-484B-4F6E-BF1F-C4E729657DAB.jpeg

34DBA7F4-F68A-4408-98E2-D4B1D90C3B3F.jpeg

0 Kudos
tara_270
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will purchase one - hopefully does the trick!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@tara_270 wrote:

Thanks both.  The white cable from the box goes into the wall, the black cable is separate and comes out of the same hole in the wall.  I’ve unscrewed two additional connectors that have been added to it (see photos).  I’ll buy the suggested connector from b&q and see if that manages to join it all up.  Fingers crossed!  Appreciate your help.

11B52694-484B-4F6E-BF1F-C4E729657DAB.jpeg

34DBA7F4-F68A-4408-98E2-D4B1D90C3B3F.jpeg

The only concern I have is you could be missing the isolator. The below looks VERY similar to the adapter attached to the wall:

The black cable would normally plug into the top of this, and the HUB cable to the bottom.

Also the mystery of the coax adapter could be the cable being re-used by sky for their services? Hopefully not.

0 Kudos
tara_270
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I had wondered if the black cable was a satellite cable rather than anything to do with broadband.  And yes, the white bracket on the wall looks identical to the one you’ve posted but no isolator in sight.  If I tried with a small data cable coupler first I assume it won’t do any harm?  Just potentially not work?  And failing that source an isolator like in your photo?  Trying to avoid the hassle of booking a Virgin engineer if I can!  Thanks 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@tara_270 wrote:

Hi

I had wondered if the black cable was a satellite cable rather than anything to do with broadband.  And yes, the white bracket on the wall looks identical to the one you’ve posted but no isolator in sight.  If I tried with a small data cable coupler first I assume it won’t do any harm?  Just potentially not work?  And failing that source an isolator like in your photo?  Trying to avoid the hassle of booking a Virgin engineer if I can!  Thanks 

Yes it will, potentially, work, however the isolator prevents damage to the HUB if there is a power spike.

I believe the new cables provided MAY have an isolator built in (A 'bump' in the cable heatshrunk?).

0 Kudos