cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnection fee

QueenLaura
Tuning in

Unfortunately virgin media isn't available at my new address and I have been told I have to pay £197 for early disconnection fee. This is disgusting and unacceptable especially seing as I wanted to take virgin services with me and was told I would be contacted within 72 hours to tell me if the services were available at my new address, no body contacted me and now I have wrong to cancel I'm been told I have to pay hundreds extra! 

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  What ya gonna do?  You have to pay them.

It's not their faults your moving home.  They are a business with staff and shareholders to pay.

Doesn't matter if you been a customer years. If you took a new contract you owe them money. Simple as that.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You only have to pay a termination fee if you are within a fixed contract period. That's common practice with ISPs because they have to spend money to connect you and they only get it back from the monthly payments.  It's made clear in the contract that you agreed to. 

Unfortunately it will cost you money if you choose to leave the contract early. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @QueenLaura, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and we're sorry that we're unable to provide our service in your new property.

In regards to the house move, Virgin Media doesn't cover all properties in the UK and we don't advise this to our customers.

When customers sign a contract with us, for a fixed period of time, the agreement is between the company and the customer as well as the company and the address that's been installed.

Therefore the obligation of Virgin Media is to supply the property for the full period of the agreed contract, if a customer needs or chooses to change address, this is something Virgin Media has no jurisdiction over.

Virgin Media would therefore expect all of the remaining contractually agreed payments to be made, as this was agreed at the start of the contract, meaning that customers are liable to pay the early disconnection fees - which are capped at £240 as per the regulations put in place.

Whilst this is perhaps unpopular with some customers I would have to advise that this is in the terms and conditions of the contracts with Virgin Media which can be found here -  

Kindest regards,

David_Bn