Menu
Carrickross
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Disconnect neighbours new install _ white join at cabinet

Hi

At 10:30am this morning my virgin services went down. I looked out and saw a Virgin man working at the cabinet. 15 mins later broadband had not returned after restarts. I went up the road and saw a Virgin van on a double yellow line, he was not around. 

15 mins later I went back, the van was no longer there. I moved to the next road and saw the same van. I told him my internet was down and he laughed at me. He denied working at the cabinet or on my road. I then showed him the picture of his van on my road and he changed his story. He refused to fix the issue 

So my internet is still down. 1hour 40 mins on the phone to Virgin and they are sending someone out on Wednesday . Can any Virgin moderator / employee help. I need internet for Monday for work 

He has also left the cabinet door open. My address is on a label connected to the white cable that’s a spur. Is this normal ?

Please help! This happened in EN6 area. 56FBF00D-AAC8-428C-8CD7-8760168F01AD.jpegF579ACB9-94C8-4598-9965-D9EBEF988365.jpeg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disconnect neighbours new install _ white join at cabinet

I have asked VM to come here and take a look

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Your on the highest attenuated tap and your on a 2 way splitter, there won't be enough signal on your drop now 

0 Kudos
Carrickross
Tuning in
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your help. I have little knowledge of cable/broadband but splitting any signal is never a good idea.

Sadly all virgin cust services want to do is run the same diagnostics test.

They can only send someone on Wednesday and say they have no way to trace this engineer. I am going to lose 3 days work as I have no other internet connection to use.

Virgin if you are reading here is a picture of him laughing his head off at me. I left the note on his van and he turned the wipers on to remove it. 

Reg YT20UNW , 11am working in  Melrose AvePotters Bar EN6 1SZ

vm 1.jpgIMG_5935 (1).jpg

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@Carrickross wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I have little knowledge of cable/broadband but splitting any signal is never a good idea.

All VM coax is the same connection. All that is in that box is a massive splitter.

Losing out on work isn;t going to yet you an engineer faster as there is no SLA and its a residential service.

You'll have to wait for the engineer if that is the next they have.

You can make a complaint about the other engineer to VM but they will not be able, to tell you of any outcome due to Data protection

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I know what I would do....
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@Carrickross wrote:

You're going to be disappointed when you finally get a FTTP service then (over PON).😉

But seriously, it's probably worth checking if this is just a signal level issue or that your cable has been completely disconnected.
(I really can't believe the 3dB drop in signal level has completely stopped your service, however.)

Firstly, what services do you have; is it just broadband or TV also?

If you check your modem stats that will indicate if you have any connection.

If you do but the signal is too low because of the additional splitter, you could just forego TV and remove your splitter in your home.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I can believe the 4db would drop it, if your going to split a drop you do it on the least attenuated tap
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

we are all assuming the splitter is what was just added. Maybe its been in place all the time. I wouldn't think the OP has had a weekly look at the box to know ifs its new or always been there
0 Kudos
Carrickross
Tuning in
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your replies. As you guessed I don't have any before pictures of the cabinet.  

I have phone, tv, broadband. The tv is still working so will try some of the recommendations. 

I feel my journey with Virgin is cursed. This was their first attempt installing in my house. Took 3 visits and over a month to get it right.

IMG_9736.jpg  

0 Kudos