cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digging up drive for installation

luke359
Joining in

I'm a current virgin media broadband customer due to shortly move house.

Virgin is available in the new property but has not previously been connected.

I'm concerned because its a town house (essentially terraced with houses connected on either side) and has a concrete driveway at the front with no lawn.

Will this mean the driveway will need to be dug up to install? We want to avoid this if at all possible.

5 REPLIES 5

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Do you have a wall or a fence line that a cable could be clipped to? The cable has to get to your house somehow.

No nothing like that. It's just a small driveway/ concrete parking space directly in front of the house with no dividing wall or fence between the houses on either side. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@luke359 wrote:

No nothing like that. It's just a small driveway/ concrete parking space directly in front of the house with no dividing wall or fence between the houses on either side. 

In front of your home, usually on the pavement, you should see a small, plastic cover plate where the VM cable will emerge from when it is pulled through (may be badged as VM or CATV or one of the earlier cable TV companies).

The cable will emerge there and will have to run from that point to the front all of the house where a plastic junction box ('omnibox') is fitted. From that point the cables are run inside the home.

Are you a tenant and, therefore, unable to authorise 'construction' type works to the driveway or a homeowner just concerned about the way in which the contractors might set about the job?

spell
Knows their stuff

Might be worth a word with your neighbours/similar houses in vicinity to see if they have experience of same issue - can get to know them at the same time - good luck with it

If there is no good way to install around the driveway then one alternative is to go under by hiring someone with a moling machine. Get a conduit installed as well, a 35mm water pipe will do I think, with a pull rope in it. Do get an expert for this job, it will cost hundreds but it will be worth it if well done.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection