Menu
LivewareIssue
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Different wall socket than setup guide

9535618F-F61A-43AD-9171-BE6DE48F17A0.jpeg

D6D1A09F-DC38-4CAA-BDD0-2137EAEEA707.jpeg

As per the guide I’m supposed to ‘push the red end of the cable into the wall socket’ however there is already a cable present. The cable isn’t attached to any connector I can see; it instead goes into the box.

There is a second socket on the wall nearby with two connectors, is this where I’m supposed to plug the router into?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
LivewareIssue
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Different wall socket than setup guide

Here’s a photo of the connector of the cable that enters the socket

CF1438FA-7C95-438B-A73A-399BC0ADDABD.jpeg

and the interior of the socket

A0E44371-67C0-4E44-B48F-BF666B84DFA2.jpeg

0 Kudos
Jonny-M
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Screw the cable that is hanging out the wall into the back of your cable modem, and then wait until VM staff see your post and book an engineer visit to come and fit an isolator into that wall box so it matches how things should be set up.

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2 2 out socket is no good - the other one certainly looks like VM and the coax is right - take the cover off and see whats inside - there should be an isolator with the connector sticking out but maybe someone pushed it back - if its there you can use the long white cable thats there or disconnect it and add the isolator cable that came with the hub - if the white cable goes through the wall and connects to the internal box then as said above you need a tech to sort things

Tony
LivewareIssue
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, the cable goes through the wall so I assume I’ll need an engineer.

E59B7771-B60B-467D-898F-EA76CEFEB634.jpeg

Is the isolator part of the cable I received with my router? (pictured below)

BF649250-6823-4A75-86A8-088E8C9B847C.jpeg

Will I get away with using the cable coming from the wall with no isolator until an engineer can visit?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Interesting as the isolator that VM fitted my Hub, screwed in between the cable and the Hub.  To top it all off, I've had VM(ex-NTL) for 20+ years, but they only installed the isolator about 3 years ago when out to try and fix a phone line issue.  I suspect there is an old isolator/splitter somewhere in the circuit, but the engineer just stuck the one on the Hub for safe measure!  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you have not done already screw the cable into the hub - if it works you are up and running - you will need to ring the activation line one its all connected

if you want to be 100% safe go to b & q or the like and buy one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

that ill let you connect the isolator cable in the run 

whatever happens you should book a tech and make sure they know the self install was not good so they dont charge you for a non fault call out

Tony