Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Didn't get refer a friend discount

So when my housemate was moving he cancelled virgin media that was in his name. He did it over the phone and mentioned how I'd be ringing to make an account when he was done. The guy he spoke to said he can get the both of us a refer a friend discount and asked for my number so he could set all this up with me straight away (I was in the room)

So he rings me, gets me all set up. Get's my email wrong, which took a week after getting my rooter to sort out which included several phone calls until finally someone on her sorted it out so I could finally get my myvirginmedia account details.

Now my first payment has come out (9 days earlier than I asked btw. I asked for payments to be taken on the 1st not the 22nd.) And no discount has been made at all.

Never got an email about the refer a friend thing because it was done over the phone and they kept putting my email in wrong. Was told I would get £50 off my first bill and the remainder of the £50 carried onto the next payment. Instead I got charged £73 which is £50 more than I should have.

Never received and email about it and I'm a bit annoyed especially with it coming out a week before I got paid and I'm not into an overdraft that I'll get charged for each day.

I should also mention that I asked my friend about it too and he's not received an email about the refer a friend discount or the discount off his last payments either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Didn't get refer a friend discount

short answer is it was set up wrong - doing it on the phone is not how its done - whoever told you this and set it up was wrong

add to that it has to be initiated by a customer - afaik someone leaving cannot do it 

if you have email proof and your friend has similar then maybe - just maybe one of the staff here may be able to do something but i dont think they can

wait for VM to get to the thread and see what they say

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well it was set up to cancel, he hadn't cancelled yet when he referred me.

And they say they record phone calls when you ring them up so they should have record of him saying that. 

I'm not happy. Why would they say over the phone he can do it that way and then ask for my number to ring me and set it up if he can't? 

This isn't the first time I've had problems with virgin media over the phone. It does however turn out that this was the first phone call I had with them so there's been problems from the moment it started.

Customer service from virgin is 0/10

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'm afraid this is not the first time a "salesperson" has been economical with the truth, I'm quite sure that some will say anything to get commission, as -tony- says it has to be done by both parties via email.Regards Micky
0 Kudos