Menu
MyM2001
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Delayed installation

Reading the other posts I can see I am not the only one to go through this but is it a case of wait it out or make a complaint?

Ordered a tv broadband bundle Nov 1st, was informed that they would do the pre install on the 3rd and I then had to postpone this until the 6th as I didnt even own the property at that point.
Install was for scheduled the 18th.

Get a phone call last night saying that the install date has been pushed back until the 3rd Dec and I can see the pre install is now the 25th Nov.
Speaking to someone on the phone today they said something about external works and needing a permit but it was hard to understand.

I have no problem with delays, they happen but why if the preinstall was supposedly carried out on the 6th was the notification of problems only given a day before final installation. I wasnt even aware of any problems to be able to source a backup in advance, that is very poor.

My partner is working from home and I do a few days a week, with the limited phone signal inside the house its less than ideal but I can't work out if I need to make alternative arrangements or not as the information available is so poor, will the work be carried out by the 25th or not, other posts dont fill me with confidence.

Do you make an official complaint in this situation or is it just a case of welcome to Virginmedia? I would point out the last person I spoke to at installations team when I was complaining had the audacity to tell me about the refer a friend to virgin media scheme at the end of the conversation! 😂

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delayed installation

This is what I usually say to cases like yours...

Can you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract?

If so do it now. Let the VM install run its course. You will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MyM2001
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And thats where the problem is.

We already have a 5G contract with a dedicated router and unfortunately the signal just isnt good enough for my partner, she has to do online school lessons as she was shielding and isnt allowed to return to work yet, her work has said its not acceptable quality or reliability.

A short term contract for broadband, you are looking at £90 for a month or £115 for 2 months.

With the unpredictability of the actual installation date you cant really plan, the issue isnt the delay itself but the lack of accurate information or late information.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

you can push for info on 0800 0521734 which is the pre install team but you are likely to get little from them - if it needs council permits then that suggests they have found an external problem or know of one so they could not pull the cable - permits can take from a few days to a number of weeks - they obviously know more than most on here but the advice is from finding a problem to work being done is usually 6 weeks - you have a date less than that but its just a date it can move

once the cable is in place the internal work needs to be done - a tech may be booked for that to happen on the same day or it could be a few days or more

all in all if it is a blockage you have to sit it out - external contractors work at their own pace and communication between them and VM is bad at best

thats the worst case - maybe it will all work out to the dates you have but you need a plan B - in the short term forget VM and see if ne of the other isp's can get you up and running - even if you do that do not cancel the VM install - you might want it in the future and if you cancel all work orders are likely to be cancelled so if you did want it later you start again

you can raise a complaint but thats just paper or whatever - its not going to change things

Tony
0 Kudos