So, with less than 24 hrs to go, Virgin Media call to say my installation has been delayed until 7th May. My current service with BT ends tomorrow which means I am going to be without broadband or landline for over a week. I have tried calling them but I am being asked for a password I have no idea as to what it is. They've just sent a message saying I've missed the scheduled appointment too so it looks like it could be delayed even further.
I don't seem to have any choice but to resume my account with BT but I don't want to end up stuck with two accounts because I can't get in touch with Virgin Media.
What a complete balls up!
Any suggestions on how to deal with this most welcome.
never a good idea to cancel an existing isp before VM is installed - most install go well bet they cannot and do not know of any problems until they attempt to install
staff may be able to give you reasons but keep trying the install team - 7th may may be the install date it may just be a wet finger guess - it all depends what problems they have found
if your install involves the main cable from the cab to your house and they have found a blockage then you are likely looking at a date in june or later - they need to apply for a council permit if they need to dig hole/s to clear any blockage - that will not happen in under 6 weeks
If you really really want Virgin Media then just ask BT to put you onto a 1 month rolling contract and then submit your 30 days termination notice when the VM is in and working to your satisfaction.Yes you'll have 2 accounts for a period of 1 month but that's typically better than having no broadband, right? and it gives you the added bonus that if you decide VM isn't for you, you can cancel it.
[FWIW, my install went exactly the same, but BT offered me a good deal to stay, so I keep both connections, it took VM 2 months to install their services]
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, in retrospect, it wasn't a good idea to cancel the contract before VM was installed, up and running - lesson learned. I have been in touch with BT to stay connected (at least I can get straight through to them without being given the jolly runaround by an automated switchboard then eventually asked for a password that I have no clue about).
I'm going to renew with BT (and get a better deal). I'll probably stick it out with VM and, as you say, run with two contracts for a while then take stock.