Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Dedicated cable connection

Hi all. 

I signed up for broadband well before covid started. Engineer came and set me up, all good. However, as I didn't have virgin cable previously, he just jumped a spur off next doors service, leaving wires exposed to the weather, and told me I'd get a dedicated cable installed within a week. 

I saw a virgin van outside my neighbours a week later and assumed it was being done. It wasn't. 

I've tried finding an email address to ask what's going on (I like to keep a trail of communication) but can't find any.

How do I go about chasing up my dedicated cable, and get next doors cable back to serving just them (and put back inside the weatherproof box). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dedicated cable connection

A picture of the whole connection might get vm staff to understand the problem a bit more .

Are either property having any difficulties with the connections? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Am at work at moment. Will post a photo of connections later. 

My connection drops occasionally, but no issue with speed when connected. Next door drops out more often they say, and they pay for a faster speed.

It's not an urgent thing, just got told we'd have separate lines going in from unit. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Trying to load photos but it's not working. I've reduced the size, and still not uploading them. 

Sorry. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

virgin connection.jpg

Screenshot_20200617_163923.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The photos were working and displaying perfectly well. You only needed one I just moderated the one selected for display (photos don't display automatically, they have to be checked for content) but someone has edited it out - you I think.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can you see them now? They are both showing on my screen.

I didn't know they had to be validated by moderators. Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes they are there. If you had the community faqs before posting you would have seen the requirement for moderation. The Mods and the VIPs can do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sharing a cable is indeed meant to be a temporary solution but so long as the signal levels are good there is no need to be concerned. If your neighbours have speed problems they should report this, don't assume that it's anything to do with sharing a cable. After the current crisis is over you can pressure VM to install a dedicated cable for you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This does look a bit of a mess. The practice of sharing a connection is not uncommon but it is not recommended. It is done if the drop cable from the street to your house hasn't been installed or is faulty when the techs come round to do the installation. I'll as the VM Team to take a look for you and see what can be done. They'll respond here.