cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivated by someone else requesting to move into my property

Haythorn_1
Tuning in

My internet access has been deactivated due to someone requesting to move into my property. We are expecting to move sometime in the next month but a date has not been set yet. I never instructed VM that i was moving but it seems someone else can start the process for your property.

It was cut off almost a week ago and is taking a very long time to reactivate. I already have a working hub and cable (it has been fine for the past 5 years). So far my timeline has been:

3rd December - Notice that the internet is not working so call VM. Explained that this is because someone has requested to move into the property. They put in a request to correctly it that will take 48hrs.

5th December - Internet is still not working. I call VM and am told that the incorrect request was made on the 3rd.  A new request is raised. Informed this will take 48hrs.

6th December - Receive an email welcoming me to VM and saying an engineer will be around on the 12th December to install my new kit. Call VM to ask why this is the case and am told it is incorrect and the service will be ready the following day.

7th December - Internet is not working. Call again and am told that the request was only made on the 6th and it takes up to 72 hrs (not 48 hrs) so it will be ready on the 9th. 

9th December - Internet is not working. Call again and am told it will be activated on the 12th and if i want it faster i need to speak to the sales team. I was transferred to the sales team and cut off. 

I have already logged a complaint but i have not heard anything yet.

So far I have called VM at least 10 times (i get a text every time i call to persuade me to look on the website to resolve my problem). This seems unbelievably incompetent and I don’t think I am getting any closer to resolving this.

My hub is working as i can see in the status it is online. It just says that my access is denied to the internet.

17 REPLIES 17

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

have flagged the thread to VM - like you i think that no one else can close your account but who knows what HELPFUL agents will come up with 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Haythorn_1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear of this happening. I can see you've spoke to the team since posting and we've booked in an engineer visit.

Let us know how the visit goes

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John.

I don’t really understand why an engineer visit is necessary given my connection was working fine last monday and i can see from the hub it is still connected. There is nothing to fix?

It’s frustrating that something out of my control can trigger my internet to be disabled and the only way to reactivate it is to wait 9 days for someone to come and turn it back on.

@Haythorn_1 

Yes, indeed I’m struggling to see why you need an engineer visit simply to reactivate your connection. Incompetence and not actually understanding the situation comes to mind - still you absolutely are entitled to compensation for each day your connection doesn’t work so make sure you screw them for every penny owed!

@John_GS so, hypothetically, if I were to find out the address of every single 5 million or so VM broadband subscribers and put in a request to cancel their contracts on the grounds that I was moving in, then it would be processed and VM would lose every single customer simultaneously?

Is it only me, or might there be a bit of an issue here?

Phone them tomorrow morning and go through the menu to the "thinking of leaving us" option. That seems to be the only department staffed with competent people.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

@Haythorn_1 

@John_GS so, hypothetically, if I were to find out the address of every single 5 million or so VM broadband subscribers and put in a request to cancel their contracts on the grounds that I was moving in, then it would be processed and VM would lose every single customer simultaneously?

Is it only me, or might there be a bit of an issue here?

the issue [surely] would be that the techs would be very busy because each disconnection would need a tech visit - or is it that we are into the highly trained offshore area that booking a tech closed the call as the agent had no clue what to do - sorry theres a contradiction there - highly trained - no clue - hmmmmmmmmmm

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I can certainly understand the frustration with this. 

The team would check over your account on thier end and if they feel a tech is needed they will book this to ensure your issue is resolved.

Usually if there are any cancellations by anyone else the team can send a text to ask if you would like an earlier date, this is never guaranteed however.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Nathan_B wrote:

I can certainly understand the frustration with this. 

The team would check over your account on thier end and if they feel a tech is needed they will book this to ensure your issue is resolved.

Usually if there are any cancellations by anyone else the team can send a text to ask if you would like an earlier date, this is never guaranteed however.

Regards

Nathan

so someone has rung in and cancelled someone elses account - thats not possible as the person who made the call does not have security info - but allowing that has happened in some way - surely not an agent who got it wrong - the loss of services is due to the line being deactivated - no physically but via the system - virtual so to speak - have i got it right so far - assuming i have

what is a tech visit going to achieve that someone on here or via the phone cannot

sorry so sound so stupid or disbelieving but this is more than frustrating [i would suggest] its out of the pages of how to make things up as you go on

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

But it's not that "someone has rung in and cancelled someone elses account".

What happened is that a keen sales person has signed up a new account at the address, which has had the effect of cancelling the existing account.  As we know, Virgin has their 14 days break between connections at an address. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.