cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous cables running across property

LML1
Joining in

I am a Virgin customer, as is my neighbour, and their cables run right across the front of my property at the base of my front door step. At one point these had been concreted over but over time, the concrete has cracked and gone so the cables are totally exposed and a potential safety trip hazard where they are.  They are the cables to my neighbours’ property but who is responsible for making them safe? And assuming it’s Virgin, how to contact the right department please (no luck getting help with this on the phone). Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for speaking with us today @LML1 on the forums.

I'm glad the issue has been sorted. If you ever need anything, never hesitate to reach out to us.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Posting up some photos of the problem might help the VM forum team when they reply here within a few days.

LML1
Joining in

I know the weeds don’t help but the cables make it more tricky to deal with them!I know the weeds don’t help but the cables make it more tricky to deal with them!

Hi @LML1, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to see this issue occur with the cable external to the property.
I will assist you on this and send a private message so we can start to resolve this.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

spell
Knows their stuff

It does beg the question of what the wiring for a neighbours connection is even doing on the OPs property unless written wayleave has been given 

I have often wondered this too!  I certainly haven’t given my express consent, although the cables were there when I bought the house 14 ish years ago. Something may have been in the paperwork if the previous owners consented, but I couldn’t find anything specific.  
I’d much prefer they were rerouted along the neighbours driveway (which, incidentally, city fibre have recently done for their cables!)

spell
Knows their stuff

If the premies were subject of a Wayleave agreement at the time of your purchase it would/should have been brought to your attention by your conveyancer in order for you to cancel it. VM could well be responsible for a possible neighbour feud here which I'm sure you don't want but if you decide to remove the stuff from your property then it is for VM to sort out a legitimate connection for your neighbour which should have been done at the time of the initial installation. Also consider a reasonable billing of VM for 14 years use.of your property.

A chat with Citizens Advice would be of benefit to verify your legal rights then perhaps a friendly chat with your neighbour over a cup of tea - VM is the common enemy here.

VM will not like it but hopefully if they identify that you are serious and won't be fobbed off ILYAS-Y may be able to get this sorted although bear in mind VM seem to have no control whatsoever over their sub contractors.

Good luck with it

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

(which, incidentally, city fibre have recently done for their cables!)

Does this mean the same neighbour is now using City Fibre instead of Virginmedia?  If so these old cables are redundant and could be removed altogether. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

spell
Knows their stuff

Missed that - excellent point - udates would be of interest

Well, City Fibre are laying the network which will have the potential to be adopted by internet providers in the future, so it’s early days yet (only laid cables last week). But certainly the hope is that the neighbour will use the City Fibre network at some point and then potentially the cables across my property could be done away with, but again that would be down to Virgin I expect.